Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After spyware removal

• Please log in to reply

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I often view the forums and read the Hi Jack this forums on a weekly basis. I remember reading somewhere that someone had an updated Hosts file that you can use to stop the machine going to undesirable sites. If someone could point me to a link it owuld be great.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Are you perhaps thinking of Spyware Blaster? It adds a number of sites from its database to your "restricted zone" settings.
http://www.javacools...areblaster.html

Johanna

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I have read up on spyware blaster, but i am sure it was a small file that added sites to the hosts folder in the c:\windows\system32 folder. I have been looking through the sigs and some of the posts on the Malware removal forum and i cant see it listed. I am sure I read it on here but I honostly cant remember where. Oh well, if I cant find it I cant find it :tazz:

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Actually the hosts file is used to bypass the DNS server. You add the IP address and website url for your favorite websites. If the DNS server is down you can still get to the website. I made my host file read only. That way, malware can't place an IP address in it.....

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
If your looking for a good HOST file, the MVPs HOST file is one of the best, refer:
http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm.

You can use their HOST file, but don't disable your DNS client as they have suggested.

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thats the one i was looking for - thank you Darth_Ash!

:tazz:

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Thanks for posting that Darth. It never dawned on me that we could use 127.0.0.1 for a website address. Near the bottom of the page there are a bunch of interesting troubleshooting articles......