Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Secondary IP on Router

• Please log in to reply

samir7399

samir7399

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
we are using a Cisco 1720 router.

The primary Ethernet0 address is 203.197.x.1 and all those servers which use this range use 203.197.x.1 as a gateway can surf the internet.

Now we have added one more network to the Ethernet0 port 59.160.x.1 with the same subnet mask as that of the first IP. The servers based on this network can ping IP addresses on the internet but the name resolution is limited to IP addresses within the ISP's domain. That means they cannot resolve for yahoo.com but they can resolve isp.com

Do we have to configure something more on the router for the name resolution to happen for all sites?

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Do you have an internal DNS server? if not, can you ping your ISPp DNS?

samir7399

samir7399

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
We do not have a internal DNS server. However i am able to ping the ISP's DNS server.

When I do a nslookup it is available and resolves all dns names within the ISP's domain for e.g ...mail.isp.com or isp.com or isp.net.
The moment I request yahoo.com or anything for tht matter it says ...Query refused.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
try to tracert to see if it is your router or theirs that is causing problems

samir7399

samir7399

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well now it seems the problem is different. From the router I can ping all websites.

But when I assign one of the IP's from the second range for e.g 59.160.x.2 and use 59.160.x.1 as the default gateway (which is the secondary IP for E0 on the router) I get the DNS problem which I mentioned.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
you need to configure a dns server. you should contact your ISP for this problem. there are a few other things i can do if i was at the computer that stuff takes many trial and error attempts and is hard to explain. if you know someone who knows stuff about networks. alot of school and like vocational schools or community colleges will do this for free or lowcast as an example to help the students learn. you should look into that. they can be trusted because if a student messes up the teachers are all cisco certified.