Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reformatting at home

• Please log in to reply

devilsdream577

devilsdream577

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
:tazz:

Hi everyone, its me again I know I am being a pest but this is all new to me, I have been trying to reformat my older computer here at home for about two weeks now and NOTHING i do is working. I have tried everything i know how to do. I boot from the CD-ROM and have the windows xp pro disk, but it only gets so far then it won't let me do the reformat any further. Is there a way that I can reformat C: without the disk and then put the disk in and just put a new operating system on after that? And how do you do that because I am completely lost here. I don't know what else to do. Thanks. Lisa

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What error message shows

If you try to install XP SP1 on a PC with SP2 it won't do this until you remove SP2

You can download and run killdisk

http://www.killdisk....ownloadfree.htm

devilsdream577

devilsdream577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
alright i have to hook up internet to the other computer so i will be back once i have tried this...and there were alot of messages actually, the main one when everything else seemed to be loading was dmb.boot something or other come up and it wouldn't let me go any furhter...this was on a black screen...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Killdisk will probably be the better option then

devilsdream577

devilsdream577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
alright i am working on it now, thanks again and i will let you know how it turns out -smiles-

devilsdream577

devilsdream577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have partitions on my old computer that someone else put on when they did my computer over, how can i get rid of them? and is it a good idea? i was thinking maybe that is why I could be having troubles too?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Killdisk will wipe the drive completely so you won't have partitions

devilsdream577

devilsdream577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
wow ok thanks alot...-grins-....i would be lost without you guys that is for sure.....