Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN only works one way

• Please log in to reply

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

I hope there are no other topics covering this problem that I am having as
I don't want to waste anyone's time by posting it again.

Anyway here's my problem.

I have two PCs connected via an CNET 8-port switch using to cat5e Both the nics are working and the settings for each nic in the control panel-->System--Devices
appear to be correct, I can connect from PC A to Pc B and access its' files and resources however I can not Connect from PC B to PC A and share its resources.
My Ip settings for PC A are
IP: 192.168.0.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway:0.0.0.0

My settings for Pc B are

IP: 192.168.0.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0

All antivirus software and Firewalls are off when I connect the two systems.

I have tried pinging PC A but the Ping command just shows Pinging 192.168.0.1
and then nothing after, no time-outs, nothing.

Suprisingly when I connect the two systems via a crossover cable I am able to access PC A from PC B however this is not suitable as my sister also wants to connect her PC to the LAN.

Thanks in advance :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you set both machines up for being in a workgroup? did you enable the file and print sharing on both machines?

fungit

fungit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

did you set both machines up for being in a workgroup? did you enable the file and print sharing on both machines?

View Post

Hi dsenette,

Thanks for the reply,

I did set up printer and file sharing on both computers, both belong to the same
workgroup and I have also tried using 6 different patch cables all cat5e but i still get the same problem.

Both nics are currently set to auto-negotiate but I tried all the various other options from 10BaseT half-duplex to 100BaseTx full duplex as well as turning flow control on and off (rebooting each time).

Another thing which I neglected to mention which could be extremely important to my problem(I don't know) is that my brother's PC (PC A) has Visual Studio installed on it, but he said he did not set up anything that requires password authentication
or anything else that would block PC B.

I also tried booting into safe mode with networking but with no luck.

I also took the switch back to the shop where they tested it in front of me and it is in working order.

Edited by fungit, 02 September 2005 - 08:16 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....just as a recap. when all is hooked to the switch, a can see and connect to b but b cannot see or connect to a? but if you do a crossover between the machines everything is great right?

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
if computer A has sp2 make sure the windows firewall is off, its been known to turn back on by itself

Edited by todd333, 02 September 2005 - 08:54 AM.

fungit

fungit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

ok....just as a recap. when all is hooked to the switch, a can see and connect to b but b cannot see or connect to a? but if you do a crossover between the machines everything is great right?

View Post

You got it right %100, oh and both machines are using SP2

Sorry it takes so long for me to reply but in about 2.5 hours I will be connected
all weekend to the net.

Edited by fungit, 02 September 2005 - 08:56 AM.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
If you connect with a crossover cable and everything works the problem has to be in the switch, did you try switching the plugs to different ports, is it a new switch? If not, it may have been configured to filter certain ports

fungit

fungit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

If you connect with a crossover cable and everything works the problem has to be in the switch, did you try switching the plugs to different ports, is it a new switch? If not, it may have been configured to filter certain ports

View Post

Hi,

I tried all the ports and yes it is a new switch, it was tested at the store and the LAN connection works both ways. How would I check if the switch filters certain ports though as the manual I received was less than thorough.

thanks

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Well, I know with cisco switches you can telnet or hyperterminal to, to configure. Some switches you can use http to configure, i dont know about cnet switches. it varies from one manufacturer to another. does your switch have an ip address, if so put the ip in your web browser, http://ip address

fungit

fungit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
As far as I Know the switch does not have an ip address and now I'm getting a message that says "Mshome is not accessible, you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission" when I try clicking on view workgroup computers. But like I said before when I connect direct(crossover cable) everything works. :tazz:

I have also tried the various NET commands i.e NET add, net send ie from both pcs
and again only PC A can remove or add PC B on the network, PC B NET command just hangs.

Thanks for being patient

Advertisements

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
you said you got the error MShome is not available, is MSHome the workgroup configured for both computers?

and double check and make sure windows firewall is disabled on both computers

Edited by todd333, 02 September 2005 - 02:38 PM.

fungit

fungit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

you said you got the error MShome is not available, is MSHome the workgroup configured for both computers?

and double check and make sure windows firewall is disabled on both computers

View Post

Both systems belong to the same workgroup and double checked that the firewalls
are off.

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
its got to be the switch,
go to start ,run type services.msc a list of all services running will appear, and verify all of your network services are running.

fungit

fungit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Every network service is running except for the DDE, DSDM and remote access.
I am completely stumped and I don't want to waste any more of your time, so tomorrow I am going buy an LG switch and hope that it works or else I'll be posting
the same topic only with with a different switch, LOL.

Anyway thanks for all the help.

If I manage to figure out the problem I will be sure to post the solution here for
anyone else who might be experiencing it. :tazz:

todd333

todd333

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
good luck, id love to hear the solution WHEN you find it.

Edited by todd333, 02 September 2005 - 03:44 PM.