Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost all my games that came with Windows XP...

• Please log in to reply

Xantos89

Xantos89

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I was doing a clean up on my computer so I could run disk defragmentor, and I think I accidently erased all of the games that came with windows XP. (Like solitaire, minesweeper, spider solitaire, internet checkers, pinball...)

Is there any way I can download this stuff back on the computer? :tazz:

I really need it cuz my dad loves this game.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel, click add / remove then add or remove windows components, left click to highlight accessories then click details, there should be a tick in games, if there is remove it click apply etc until windows has finished, reboot, return to the same place, put a tick in games, click apply etc, you may need the XP CD

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I tried it and yes, it asks for the windows XP CD. Well... that CD is long gone, so is there anyway I could download any of those games, (namely solitaire) or do you know any free solitaire games that are VERY similar to that one?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://fileforum.bet...ire/964588400/1

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Well, I hope my dad likes it, but theres 1 problem. Which one is the regular solitaire game??? I don;t know the name of it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It has to be in there, and he will know it

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
kk its called klondike, thanks, I hope he likes it or im in big trouble :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Xantos89...

How about we see if those games are really gone???

Double click My Computer then double click Local Disk C now double click on the Windows folder and click on "Show the contents of this folder". Double click on the System32 folder and click on "Show the contents of this folder". Scroll down slowly (Don't click on anything in this folder unless you are absolutely sure it is the file you are looking for!)...you are looking for icons with the names "freecell", "mshearts", "sol", "spider", and "winmine". If the icons are present, right click on the icon, point to Send to and choose Desktop (create shortcut)...do that to each of the game icons. Close out of the Explorer window(s) and the icons for your games should be on the Desktop...see if they will open.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 September 2005 - 02:02 PM.

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
yeah... just checked... couldn't find any of those programs. Thanks for the help though. I have a question though. I own an old windows 98 computer currently hooked up in the same room as this computer, is there anyway I could get that old solitaire game or freecell or pinball or minesweeper games onto this one?

I also wonder how come there is no website to download these old games right onto your computer. I would think you would have to purchase them.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Xantos89...

If the games are present on the 98 machine, they will be in the Windows folder...not the System32 folder. Navigate to it, put a floppy disk in the "A" drive, right click on the icon, point to Send to and choose 3 1/2" Floppy. Put the Floppy in the new machine, open the Floppy, right click the icon, and click on copy. Now navigate to the System32 folder, right click on a blank area, and click on paste. Repeat this for each game. One floppy should hold all the games.

This may or may not work depending on what files are required to run the games.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 02 September 2005 - 02:29 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hey Xantos89....

Have you looked in the Recycle Bin for your deleted games?????

wannabe1

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
kk problem 1, I dunno if its the floppy disk or not but I have the programs from the old Win98 on it and when I put them in the slot and go to my computer and click floppy disk drive, it starts beeping like its loading and basically crashes. I tried getting at least minesweeper on since it was the only one that loaded the icon before it crashed but it wouldn't go :)

second, I kinda set it so files will be deleted instead of being sent to the recycling bin, I had a few programs awhile back that messed up the computer every time I tried to get rid of it and send to the recycling bin....um so im sure its not there :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Xantos89...

I'm really not sure that the games off the 98 machine will run on the XP machine, but moving them by floppy should not have caused a "crash"...they just wouldn't run. Try a Fresh floppy disk and be sure you are not pasting the games into a folder within the System32 folder...they need to be in the System32 folder just as the old ones were.

If that doesn't work, and the games are not in the recycle bin, about the only way I know to recover them is from the XP installation cd. If your machine is an OEM machine, the files needed may be on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Without more information about the system...my bag of tricks is empty.

wannabe1

Xantos89

Xantos89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
:) I figured this would happen, I get blamed for losing the CD, AND I get blamed for accidently deleting solitaire :'( Maybe I'll post again If I survive, he gets home in about an hour, I hope he doesn't care that the game has a thing where if u move the card it automatically goes to any open space :)

Well, thanks for trying :tazz:

Netman

Netman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
You may try going to the windows update site and install the service packs. I seem to remember the games getting installed automatically after I installed service pack 2 on our network computers (I didn't want them there and that's why I remember them showing up). ;o) Hope this works for you.