Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD RW Drive

• Please log in to reply

redcrypt

redcrypt

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I installed a new DVD rw drive. tryed slave jumper master jumper and cable select jumper none work. I even tried to hook the old dvd rw drive up that was working and now its not reading discs nor does it have an icon under my computer. I can open and close the drive but thats it. Under device manager it has yellow ! for my dvd drive along with a avx cd/dvd-rom SCSI cdrom device which i cant delete even if i go under the SCSI tab and delete from there. Any ideas on how to get this working? Its a sony dwq28a sw oem drive

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I would try another EIDE ribbon cable.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yeh new ide cable should be the job.

ps i have that dvd\rw works well for cd just trying to find some good dvd burning software if u find any let me know :tazz: .

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I attached a brand new IDE cable... still same thing

If its recognized in the BIOS and in device manager shouldnt it just need an updated driver or firmware?.. and if so where can i find for that driver cuz sony doesnt have it

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
no should be plug and play mine is i did attempt looking but found little or no support on the product what so ever, do u have another system u could possibly use? as it may just be a faulty drive.

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
i have another computer but i dont eve use it... the weird part is ive tried 3 drives... including the one that used to work and none of the 3 work. All have the same problem and none show up in my computer.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

i have another computer but i dont eve use it... the weird part is ive tried 3 drives... including the one that used to work and none of the 3 work. All have the same problem and none show up in my computer.

View Post

One of the first things to suspect is the chipset drivers. I don't see any information in your possts about the make and model of machine, or how old it is. Newer machnes will pick the drives up right away, older not. Also reinstalling the OS may lose the drivers.

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I have a sus p4p800E-delux motherboard with P4 3.0 processor

nothing in the computer is over a year old and i cant reinstall the OS anyways cuz i dont have a drive to read the disc. I could try to redownload chipset drivers from asus site i guess

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
have u tried putting the drive to slave and running it off the same channell as the hdd?

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I thought about it last night but havent got around to it yet... i just dont want the HDD to get messed up like the drives did

Advertisements

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok i tried that and the same problem occured

puterman

puterman

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi redcrypt,

Humor me for a moment and try this, even if you already have. Get to your device manager and delete the drive for your cd-rom. then reboot your system, plug-n-play should dectect the cd-rom and re-install the driver. After reboot and once windows reinstalls the cd-rom, go back into device manager, check to see if you still have the yellow icon by the cd-rom. If so, right click on the device > go to properties, under "Device Status there should be a message, maybe an error message, please post that message here.

Thanks

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

puterman

puterman

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
try this fix:

Start Registry Editor (Start, Run and type in regedit then click)

Find "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" (and "UpperFilters.bak" "LowerFilters.bak", if they exist) value under the following key in the registry, and delete it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Quit Registry Editor.

Reboot.

NOTE: You might need to reinstall any CD recording apps you have, if they start to not work completely, after doing this.

redcrypt

redcrypt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok i could try that but if it doesnt work and i need to reinstall any discs i wont be able to cuz the drive doesnt work