Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Linux easier

• Please log in to reply

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi I'm just starting to program and I heard that linux is easier to program on than windows is this true?

Advertisements

I love my vans

I love my vans

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Dont know, but to be honest, i wouldnt use anything but windows to program in. Now days 101% of computers use windows, so compatibilty is buil right in. Also i found that using liunx as an OS was bad enough.

Also just to warn you, with Microsoft moving on in the world they soon may not support 32 bit applications, like the ones made in VB. So either try to use a language which has a more distant fututre.

Or join my capain fo eveyrone to keep a computer in their house for "old programs". I shall dominate

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Please repost to "other opperational system" forum where you will receive more replies.

I myself am on Kubanto, very stable, safe and open, without cost too.

Edited by fleamailman, 09 September 2005 - 02:58 PM.

stu_design

stu_design

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
i would consider this to be the proper spot
if in doubt pm me and ill ask my supervisors

lt b0ngo

lt b0ngo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Yeh I posted it here because programmers are more likely to know the answer since it's a programming question.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
My fault I should have advised you to go to the "other systems" forum where Linux is handled but if it's any help I am running my computer here on Kubuntu, which I am sad to say is very unstable and unsatisfactory in terms of sound quality, frequent crashes and little choice: however, for the internet it is a joy to be beyound malware's reach so to speak , meaning that if you have a spare machine just for Internet, then this Linux oss is for you. Also, it is great to be on something new, and once the bugs are gone, the idea of being able to fix up as many machines, when and where one likes from something as simple as a USB key without worrying about being a pirate any more, no only sounds great but also should be very worrying to you know who.

Stan_Railey

Stan_Railey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Since we used Linux in our highschool years along side Windows, here are things about Linux that I know:

Windows is more user friendly with it's GUI

Programming is not too much of a worry if youre using C or HTML(to begin with, HTML is easy) although Im not sure what other laguages are applicable

My opinion is that Linux is easier when you get the hang of it, If you know windows very well then adapting to Linux will be a breeze.

However the worst problem you may encounter with Linux is that It gets corrupted too easily when you get power outages at startup. should that happen then the programs you made could goo kaput. installing two OS (that let's you choose which os to use at start up) may be a safe idea [dual os]

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Dont know, but to be honest, i wouldnt use anything but windows to program in. Now days 101% of computers use windows, so compatibilty is buil right in. Also i found that using liunx as an OS was bad enough.

completely irrelevant....doesn't matter what o/s you write the program in...if you program it for windows...it will work in windows....

linux is a great O/S for programming...as it's built for and by programmers...EMACS is a great program to code in....you just have to know what you're doing...just like anything else.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I second dsenette. I wouldnt say right now if linux is that great to program FOR, not having much experience of writing OS specific programs, but emacs is definitely the editor made for programmers. Also, having compilers provided for you if you do the full installation is a big plus.

for new distributions of linux, most of the major problems have been worked out. Even though it might not be all that great for playing games on or supporting the newest and best hardware, linux will always be the best system on which to program. I don't even bother installing compilers in windows these days. I just boot up linux and its all there.

Edited by Thef0rce, 21 February 2006 - 09:10 AM.

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
Agreed. If you program in C, C was built for Linux (and the other way around too). The standard library IS basically the Linux C API. Much nicer than the Windows interface IMHO!

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
though i am not much of a programmer (i know a little bit of java), eclipse + gcc + gcj, make a very nice programming suite. what someone said about crashing after power outages is not true, at least with most distros, i can shut my box down by pulling out the plug, and it starts up just as fast and as stable

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most universities including my own code on linux boxes.

brendandonhue

brendandonhue

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I don't think there is an answer to that question. What language are you coding in? What target system are you coding for? What IDEs/compilers do you know/use? Which OS are you more familiar with? Are you coding for embedded platforms or realtime OSes at all?