Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

dual boots

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i have a dual boot, win98se/xp. in win98, there is no cdrom, scroll on mouse won't work, no sound and cannot change screen resolution.

Advertisements

noceclipze

noceclipze

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Galec whats up?

have you tried installing the drivers...if i'm not mistaking 98 dont pick up on some things as well as Xp does.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
no cdrom working to load drivers!!

noceclipze

noceclipze

• Pip
  • 8 posts
whats up?

i havent work with 98 in awhile....but off the top of my head i would say try dumping the drivers on to a floppy or if you can download them.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
i have emailed TDK. I don't remember having to install any driver, just the software for burning which is a cd. really need to get the cd drive recognized since i have software to load.

noceclipze

noceclipze

• Pip
  • 8 posts
is this your first time use 98 on that pc?

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
on this hard drive, 250G, have dual boot w/ winxp - everything ok on that system. all the hardware in the machine was previous used w/ win98.

noceclipze

noceclipze

• Pip
  • 8 posts
just trying to understand correctly.....when you say you dual booted with xp before....did you use another OS or was it with 98? was the previous pc pre-installed with 98 or did you or a friend do it?

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
orignally this computer ran win98se (installed myself from orginal cd on new hard drive a few yrs ago). everything worked fine. just recently bought 250g hard drive but need a dual boot due to a laser printer NOT having an xp driver (doesn't exist already checked). so i have 3 partitions, 1=win98, 2=winxp, 3=files. i normally boot to xp but when i need to use the laser printer i have to boot to win98. so today i just realized that no hardware functions: i do not have a cd drive, sound doesn't work, mouse works but scroll will not and i cannt chge the screen resoultion. some how i need to get the cd recognized so i can load drivers/software.

noceclipze

noceclipze

• Pip
  • 8 posts
gelec....i'm sorry to say that im stuck. i wise i could help you out with this. im gonna search around and see if i can find a fix for your problem....hopefully someone with an answer will see this post and help you. once again im sorry dude.

Good Luck

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
:tazz: dudette!!! thanks for responding; i'll keep looking. this is where i got my info for setting up the system. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi galec...

Is the Win98 system listing the cd-rom in Device Manager?

wannabe1

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
no