Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

Pirating software

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Seriously people,

Why are some of you asking for help with software\OS's that a pirated?

Edited by Tony_1983, 02 September 2005 - 05:12 PM.

Advertisements

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hi Tony

The moderators on here keep a close eye on posts, looking for such requests as they may breach our TOS depending on the context. if you are aware of any posts or topics which cause you concern, then please contact one of the moderators for that forum. In Off Topic, that would be either myself or Jfcap, although any of the mod/admin staff will help.

UKBiker

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Oh trust me, I do send a ASAP message to admins or mods.

I don't support pirated software\OS's and Im getting more carefull when I help people on here. (No offence to the people that have ligit software).

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Thanks Tony

I just wondered if there was something specific which had led to your post. :tazz:

UKBiker

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
No nothing in specific.

Just wondering why that people do it for?

If they dont have the money, still dont pirate software cause one day your gonna get cought out.

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
Hiya

I suppose that there are a number of reasons why people do it,

They dont want to pay for a kosher copy of Photoshop or whatever
The fact that illicit downloads are easily available
Ignorance - they dont realise that it is illegal
Peer pressure - hey, all my mates do it so why not me too?

and many more besides.

UKBiker

NemanjaM

NemanjaM

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

If they dont have the money, still dont pirate software cause one day your gonna get cought out.

Depend in what country they live in... Some countries have well developed system that will eventually find a perpetrator (western countries commonly), while other countries just don't give a dam (third world countries, or developing countries that were third world countries up to recently).

The reason why they don't give a dam is simply because they recognise that people in their country don't have enough money so they silently aprove of pirate software, not wanting people to realise how low their standard is or it can be some kind of rebellion toward western countries or something else...

But essentially it all comes down to money and the fact that people don't have money for legitimate software, and that it comes down to them to weight risks... :tazz:

Edited by NemanjaM, 02 September 2005 - 06:10 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Cool, I like seeing everyones appion on this.

I hope Im not pushing it with the Mod and Admins.

I know about the peer presure and all, Im open to that. But isn't getting pirated software abit to risky?

E.g over here I think it is if you get caught using a pirated software mainly microsoft... you get a [bleep] of a fine and imprisonment.

NemanjaM

NemanjaM

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

E.g over here I think it is if you get caught using a pirated software mainly microsoft... you get a [bleep] of a fine and imprisonment.

Thats understandable, Microsoft is a big company that has a lot of influence... Here, Microsoft products were the first ones when police started to come down on pirates. And now it's spreading...

But for now, only people that get caught are the ones that are selling it on the streets, and only if they are not carefull enough (ever watched "Only fools and horses" - if u did imagine Del boy with a bag that is full of cds - mainly games and movies instead of his usual stuff - if u didn't - u should :tazz: ). I heard a rumor that police enters companies and take computers that dont have legit software, but doesn't fine them... Oh yea, and they did caught few big "manufactures", and made an example of them...

And one more thing...Prices of comps have rised, because now they include price of Windows in the configuration...

Edited by NemanjaM, 02 September 2005 - 07:16 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Yes the police do that, and I think if remembering correct keep it for evidence.

Advertisements

ukbiker

ukbiker

Rest in Peace, ukbiker

• Retired Staff
  • 2,014 posts
I can understand the economic pressures involved in some parts of the world, but to be honest, we dont see many folk from Nigeria etc looking for help with malware infected software in here. While we do get posters looking for help outside our TOS, illicit software is most often seen in reference to malware problems, ie where a download of a bent application has come bundled with something nasty, and the user comes here looking for help. and that is where things get complex. For instance, P2P applications.

There are a few linked issues here in that P2P does have legitimate uses and is not in itself an illicit act. From a malware viewpoint, P2P downloads and file shares are a major source of infection. Certainly malware is installed via the downloaded file, but also in some cases the initial vector is the P2P app itself. This results in a situation where the user can get infected by using a corrupt P2P application to carry out a legitimate task. My current thoughts are roughly this

1-The use of a P2P app does not in itself disqualify a user from help.
2-The use of P2P to download cracks warez etc which result in an infection may disqualify the user if he refuses to desist.
3-Refusal by the user to replace a corrupt P2P app with a safe, clean alternative may disqualify them from help.
4-Clear evidence of illegally obtained software will disqualify the user from help with that software.

In the end thoughyou have to distinguish between ignorance and intent, not always easy.

UKBiker

NemanjaM

NemanjaM

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

has come bundled with something nasty, and the user comes here looking for help. and that is where things get complex ... In the end thoughyou have to distinguish between ignorance and intent, not always easy.

I know... And that is the main problem, because in most cases u can't, and even when u do, if the problem is in the money (as the reason why would someone get illic software), you (i mean in generall) will end up punishing him even more (for not having money to buy proper stuff) if u refuse to help him...

To be more precise: Problems concerning pirate software is far more complex (morally) than we all think it is, and in the end one can debate about it forever... Reality is that it all comes down to people helping in forums such is this one, and that u have to draw a line somewhere... After that it is up to people using that software to acknowledge the stand of others and to understand it...

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I think that more companies should have free software, e.g Sygate and zonealarm and AVG etc. Hey have pro versions and free version.....

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Tony, I think you are doing a great job out there, I don't know if you have seen this thread in programming about mixing ICR with P2P. I think my replies there say why I want people to stop before it's too late.

http://www.geekstogo...ity-t59878.html

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

In the end thoughyou have to distinguish between ignorance and intent, not always easy.

UKBiker

View Post

Actually, not quite. On GeeksToGo, we do NOT help anyone who has an illegal copy of Windows, whether it was intentional or not. This is why we close the thread saying something like "While I understand that you may not have been aware of this situation, or it may have come on your newly purchased 'used' computer....we still cannot help you. We have a very strict policy here at GeeksToGo whereby we cannot help you if you do not have a legitimate LEGAL copy of Windows. Thank you for your understanding in this matter."

Yes, some people actually may get it UNintentionally. They may have bought a used pc that had a cracked version of XP on it, for instance. But should we break our own rules to help them? No...for the simple reason that how are we to KNOW for sure who is and is not telling us the truth? We're not here to judge, or decide the truth. We're here to help people....with LEGAL copies of Windows. :tazz:

Just my .02