Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Multi-Purpose LCD's

• Please log in to reply

firefighter81

firefighter81

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm in the Air Force, moving to Honduras for a year, and the living quarters aren't exactly huge. I've been enjoying my 65" rear-projection TV for watching TV and movies, and my 19" CRT for internet and gaming. I need to consolidate space, so I've decided to sell the TV and the monitor (can't take the TV with me anyways)

I need a monitor that's fairly good size, for a decent price (sub $1000). It will double as a monitor and a TV. So far I've seen two that have me very interested:

Dell 24" LCD Widescreen (12ms response time, $1000)
ViewSonic 27" LCD Widescreen (16ms response, $850)

I have read nothing but great reviews on the Dell, so I have no question that it's a great monitor. But when I try searching for anything on the ViewSonic I can't find much, I'm especially concerned with the 16ms response time and if it will be acceptable for gaming (PC FPS's, XBOX 360, etc). But I do like the fact that it's 3" larger and $150 cheaper. But if it's gonna be ghosting on me while playing fast-paced games, I'll take the smaller monitor.

Does anyone have any reccomendations or can anyone offer me any sort of guidance?

Thanks,
Jason

Edited by firefighter81, 02 September 2005 - 06:25 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Looking at the stats, it appears the Viewsonic is intended more as a TV than a monitor (1280 x 720) resolution. The brightness is excellent, but the contrast ratio is on the low side.

The Dell offers 1920x1200 resolution, a much better contrast ratio, and similar brightness. The only downside is that not many games offer 1920x1200 resolution yet, and the ones that do require a lot of horsepower to run.

For most people a 16ms refresh rate is fine for gaming. If you're a serious gamer, go for the 12ms.

I'd go with the Dell. You can often get the Dell 2405FPW for under $800: http://geekstogo.got...irectDeal/11294

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would look at the sony tvs they are always the best on the market, they definately are the best monitors the x black coating really makes a big difference when you see it in action, the only downiside is they are always the most expensive as well.