Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer does not boot

• Please log in to reply

aalh004

aalh004

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I installed SP2 last night, and after 1hour 36mins of waiting, the download and installations was finally complete. Then the computer had to restart, but after this happend, my computer never went back to desktop agian!!!!

right after the windows logo comes up, a dark blue screen comes up with this message at the top:

STOP:C00221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image CRYPT32.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

What on eart does this mean!!! i cant even access the desktop from Safe Mode.
Im using another computer to send this topic.
Somebody, i need urgent help!!

Advertisements

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, aalh004.

There are a couple options I can think of right off bat here. The easiest by far being a windows repair. If you don't have a windows cd and only have recovery discs by your computer manufacturer than we can try other means.

If you were to do the windows repair you would keep your personalize settings and such but you would lose any patches not on your windows cd. (SP2, etc.)

The other option would be trying to replace the file giving you that error in the recovery console…the downside is that’s if you have a windows xp cd.

Let me know what you want to try.

-OwNt

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thankyou for taking the time to reply,

Well i dont want to lose my document files, i have stuff that i really need. I guess this shows how smart i am not to back them up!

If "keeping my personal settings" means i get to keep documents etc., then windows repair sounds good.

My computer did not come with a windows xp cd, it came with partition recovery drive.
I do have a windows xp cd, but that one has already been installed on my laptop (came with the hp laptop). Is it possible to use that same one on my desktop pc, or will this be regarded as if im using a pirated copy.
NOTE; both my laptop and dektop pc are from hp.

Edited by aalh004, 02 September 2005 - 10:54 PM.

Metal God

Metal God

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
u bought it so u are free to use it on ur computers and laptops i think... , id say do a xp repair, but dont take my advice lol ive only done that once and i cant remember what happened. but usually xp repair is the way to go if u want to keep ur files, but id back them up anyways

Edited by Metal God, 02 September 2005 - 10:58 PM.

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, aalh004.

You can find info on a Windows XP repair Here.

Yes, ALL personal files will be saved, applications, games included. It will only repair the system files.

Hmmm. You can use your windows cd on this one, yes... Though it could be construed as piracy because according to the EULA you agree to when you install it it can only be used on 1 system at a time. Meaning you would legally have to transfer the license to use it on the other system.

On the other hand though, you already have xp on that system, so it would be more like borrowing. Doing a repair is certainly different then an install, because your only using it then, and even after that it's still on the xp that was legally obtained. I really don't know what to say, legally.

Going with option #2 and replacing the file would also require the xp cd, but again - your just using it temporarily.

Since it's just a repair I would say go for it, but I might get in trouble for even saying that. Perhaps a "Trusted Tech" could put some advice here, regarding that?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try the repair option, though you may come up against your XP CD not liking the recovery installation

Borrowing an XP CD to replace files is common, you would be acting improperly if you were using an XP CD to try and install the entire operating system to more than one PC

aalh004

aalh004

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thankyou everyone, i really apreciate your advice

After completing the windows repair, everything is alright now!!

Although, after the repair was finished, i was prompted to activate my product online, so i entered the genuine key given with my computer, and it was rejected!!

If this happens to anyone, you have to call your local microsoft supupport office and they will provide you with an installation ID-number of 30 digits, this will solve the problem straight away.

You can get the numbers for these microsoft support places through the same window that asks for your product key, just select your country, and it will give you the nearest number.

Once again, thanks a heap to everyone who helped, especially OwNt!

Edited by aalh004, 03 September 2005 - 08:47 AM.