Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless works on one computer but not other!

• Please log in to reply

Layth

Layth

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

I have three computers in my family. I'm trying to hook them all up to my wireless router. Here's the info on the hardware:

Computer 1: Windows XP, Hardwired in with FastCat5

Computer 2: Windows XP, Hardwired in with FastCat5

Computer 3: Windows XP, New from DELL, wireless USB adaptor (XPC b/g wireless kit)

Router: Netgear DG834G

if i plug the USB adaptor into computer 1 or 2, it will connect to the router and the internet fine. If i plug the USB adaptor into computer 3, the device utility will connect to the router, but then windows has trouble assigning an IP address. It finally does with some wierd IP that doesn't work. If i manually assign an IP, it accepts it but the internet STILL doesn't work. MSN 7.5 has a troubleshoot thing which says there's a problem with the Default Gateway, but i can't figure out what!

All settings on all PC's are the same. Only difference is that computer 3 is new (but has all the updates) and the driver/utility for the USB adaptor is slightly newer than the driver/utility on computers 1 and 2.

All have firewalls but disabling them doesn't make any difference.

Please help! i'm SO confused!

Many thanks!

Layth

Edited by Layth, 02 September 2005 - 07:21 PM.

Advertisements

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
And now its not working on computer 2 either!

:tazz: :) :)

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
If the two machines that aren't working have SP2 installed you can try this.

Click Start, Click Run, type 'cmd' without the quotes and click on 'OK',
type 'netsh winsock reset' without the quotes again and hit enter
then reboot and try your connection again

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for responding

That didn't work unfortunately!

Any other ideas?

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
are you doing a direct connection or are you using a router. if you are using a router go to cmd like before and type "ping (ip address of router)" no quotes. space between words ping and ip if you get an error it means that the computer doesn't even recognize the router.

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
typed previous response before i read all what you said. forget that. Go to cmd and type "ipconfig /all"do it on a computer that works and see the default gateway. it should be either 255.255.0.0 or 255.255.255.0 make sure they are all the same. from a computer that works you can though open an internet browser in the address bar type in the ip address of the router and you can change settings of ip and default gateway.