Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Installer keeps trying to install

• Please log in to reply

Layth

Layth

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

Windows installer keeps trying to install Human Neuroanatomy at seemingly random times and then just gives me an error message saying that the InstallScript is older than needed so it can't continue, and i can't press ok because it just loads right up again! It comes on at start up too. any ideas? its really bugging me now!

Thanks

Layth :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Layth....

Click "Start" then "Run"...type msconfig and press "Ok". Click on the "Start Up" tab and see if you can spot the offending program in the list...make sure the box next to it is not checked. Click "Apply" (if you changed a setting) and then "Ok". Restart your computer. You will get a window when the desktop appears talking about changed configurations and selective startup...check the box in the lower left corner and click "Ok".

Let us know how it goes...

wannabe1

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

thanks but i tried that. Looked again but not found it.

There's something that triggers it to start because its not just at startup, i can sometimes get rid of it by terminating it from processes window alot of times, but it'll come back if i go to a microsoft site or something, its different everytime and i can't find the pattern! :tazz:

Layth

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, Layth.

Did you try installing "Human Neuroanatomy" at a previous point in time only to have it fail? If so, the easiest way to solve it is to try seeing if it has an uninstall point in Start > Settings > Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs, and if so, uninstall/reinstall it.

Also, have you tried updating your version of "InstallScript?"

Another thing that is important, what exact wording does it use, like does it say "installing" configuring" etc..? Thanks..

-OwNt

Edited by OwNt, 02 September 2005 - 08:28 PM.

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for replying

If i remember right... i installed it, but then didn't like it so i uninstalled it, but the uninstall may not have gone as smoothly as i'd have liked.... i really cant remember what happened. Suffice it to say, its not in the Add/Remove Programs list!

Also, the exact message is: The InstallScript engine on this machine is older than the version required to run this setup. If available, please install the latest version of ISScript.msi, or contact your support personell for further assistance...

If i remember right, i think i tried to delete that engine in a vain attempt to stop it from happening but it didn't work and now i get this message!

I'm sorry i'm not exact its just that it started about 3 months ago but i've been away and haven't used it until today!

Thanks again

Layth

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi again...

Have a look HERE and see if it's any help.

wannabe1

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

That's good, but i don't think that'd help, it'd just go further with the vain attempt at installation. I don't have the CD anymore so i couldn't install it even if i wanted to!

Is there a way i can find out what installation file is being run and delete it? All that's of any significance is msiexec in the process' list. But deleting that doesn't work, even tho terminating it does!?

Layth

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

it started about 3 months ago but i've been away

Have you tried a System Restore to a point before you uninstalled the program? (Sorry about all the questions...botched uninstalls can be tough to get rid of)

wannabe1

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

wouldn't i have had to saved a system restore point?

Layth

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, Layth.

Please don't attempt to delete msiexec.exe, as it will cause QUITE a bit of problems in the future, as you probably won't be able to do anyway, as I'm pretty sure the file is protected by windows.

Please download Process Explorer here - http://www.sysintern...ssExplorer.html (at the bottom of the page)

When it tries to install again click on msiexec.exe (there may be more than one) and scroll down the list of threads, you should see the name of that program somewhere along here, tell me the file it is associated with, please.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
XP does that automatically unless you have disabled it.

wannabe1

Layth

Layth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi

The only file i can find that may be relavent is: C:/Windows/Installer/5a07f0.msi

The threads bit just lists more msiexec files. There are two running at the mo.

Any thoughts?

Layth

Edited by Layth, 02 September 2005 - 09:04 PM.