Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless network and registry files

• Please log in to reply

TxsChatterbox

TxsChatterbox

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. My husband has been dealing with this problem, but had to go to work, so he asked me to post this for some help.

We are running windows XPsp2. We have a Linksys Wireles Router model WRT54G version 2, and a linksys wireless notbook card WPC54G.

THe card stopped working properly and Linksys had us uninstall and reinstall the card several times by downloading the new install program from their site or off of the original CD. The installation appears to work fine, then it advies the "device did not install properly" (Code 10).

Seven calls later with the tech support at Linksys they advise that there are still registry values that are corrupted, due to the repeated installation, that need to be removed before re-reinstalling the drivers. Linksys advised that they can't tell us what the reigistry entries are. Can anyone tell us what the registry entrires are so we can remove them and get our computer back?? Thanks a tone!!

-Tami

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Get the Tune Up trial here

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up, registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which takes a while and needs a reboot

Try to install the card again

simplejohn

simplejohn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey Tami
Is it possible that your wireless card is damaged, or maybe your router is...?
have you tried to install the card on another computer, or access the router with another computer?
This could give you more info about your situation...

Edited by Keith, 12 September 2005 - 04:21 PM.

TxsChatterbox

TxsChatterbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi. Thanks. I did what you asked me to do after making sure that the program was uninstalled. I then tried to reinstall it and it still would not work and is telling me that it can not communicate with the router, although it it is lit up on the card. I then followed the steps again after uninstalling the program again, and then ran registry editor to do a search for Linksys. It came up with like 41 matches. I can't copy them and post them or I would. Any ideas where to go next?

Thanks

Tami

TxsChatterbox

TxsChatterbox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Also, we are able to wirelessly connect from our desktop to the internet via the router. So, we know that our router is working properly. Thanks.

-Tami