Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble opening MPG - MPEG type files

• Please log in to reply

Amighty

Amighty

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey there,

So I have this trouble opening some MPG type files. I do not even know how to explain this. Some of the files run fine, but some dont anymore. I just get the message like Windows media player will now have to shut down, and at the same time Windows explorer error. Then the explorer reboots and I can use my PC till I lead the pointer on the same file (or other the same type files).
I want to believe that this is not a virus, but you never know, even though I have AD-aware se, Zone Alarm and Norton antivirus 2004.

So may be someone of you might have had the same type of problem and could share the solution to it.

Thank you in advance
pp

Advertisements

Yarnouth

Yarnouth

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
In most cases it's corrupted data. If it's important stuff you want try another player as sometimes alternative programs have better luck playing them. Or it's that the programing is much better/ has the correct codecs etc.

Michlos

Michlos

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
It sounds to me like you are having trouble with codecs. A lot of times explorer will crash if you have a folder set to thumbnail format and the file itself requires a codec that you don't have installed.

I would suggest installing a codec pack like K-lite or some like that.

senshisteph

senshisteph

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Or get VLC video player - it seems to play just about anything!