Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer will not re-format completely

• Please log in to reply

IvoryPassages

IvoryPassages

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have another computer that had a virus and I tried to reformat it using the recovery disks. There are 3 disks and about 56% of the way into the third, a box popped up that said "unknown error occured". So the operating system was never fully installed. It turns on, goes to the black screen that has all the specs (before Windows XP actually loads) and won't go any further. Don't know what to do now.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Make and model of the system you are trying to restore and are you using the recovery disks specific to that system??

Murray

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
you can obtain a utility from your HDD vendor that would low format your machine.

jpaterson

jpaterson

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
What is low formatting anyways? Is that when it formats just zeros to your hard drive? Is its risky at all?

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
low level format will replace all data with zeros and delete anything stored on the HDD. I gathered you want to format the HDD and restoring is giving you errors. I think best was is to low format and start fresh.

jpaterson

jpaterson

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
So it basically makes it like it was when it left the factory? Would this help in a situation like this: I installed windows but it freezes on a certain part. So i reformat the hard drive and install windows again but it know exactly were to go and goes back to where it was in the installation where it froze before.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
there is an important question I need to ask you before I can answer your questions.. do you have all the CD's needed to install windows? do you have the windows XP CD? some computer manufacturers store indows xp installation files on a hiden partition on HDD.

jpaterson

jpaterson

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
its a new computer i built and i just bought the retail version of windows xp home.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
that's it then, get the utility from your HDD vendor and low format your HDD. This would get rid off anything on your HDD. I would recommend it.

jpaterson

jpaterson

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
yeah but i still have this problem...
:tazz:

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
ok I will have a look at that problem.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
how many beeps do you get?

jpaterson

jpaterson

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
it beeps every 4 or 5 seconds for about a second long but doesnt stop beeping until i kill the power.

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
there are many types of beeps. is it one beep every 4 - 5 sec?

jpaterson

jpaterson

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
yes