Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Reinstalling XP

• Please log in to reply

JeffREmix

JeffREmix

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, so I have my Windows XP cd in my cd-rom, I restart my computer, and my computer restarts as it normally does without prompting me with the option to boot from disk. The disk I'm using is a burned copy from the custom computer shop I bought it from. Could that be the reason?

Advertisements

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, JeffREmix.

Let me get this clarified a bit here, your trying to use a cd you burned of windows xp to re-install xp, correct? Is there any certain reason your not using the original one?

I'd bet your problem is either one of 2 things.

1. You didn't burn it with the right options (making it bootable)
2. You don't have the cd-rom set to boot BEFORE the hdd does.

I'd go for #2.

-OwNt

JeffREmix

JeffREmix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks a ton, I bet #2 is the problem. The only reason I'm using the burned disk is because that is what the computer place gave me, they have the original. I'm pretty sure they burned it right (kind of sad if they didn't) so #2 is probably the problem.

Edited by JeffREmix, 03 September 2005 - 08:29 AM.