Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Booting from XP Recovery CD

• Please log in to reply

Metal God

Metal God

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
so i got to the BIOS settings and i change the startup order 1)CD-Rom 2)Hard Disk 3)Floppy

and then i restart again with my ACER Windows XP SP1 Cd inside and the screen is blank for 3 seconds and then it says Veryifying DMI Pool Data and then it says Booting from CD-ROM or something and then just goes on and loads Windows XP and then i come upto the accounts screen.

I need to do a repair in which case this is the cd im supposed to be using but it doesnt open that up when i boot from CD-ROM

what should i do?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you get any options if you boot windows to the desktop then insert the recovery cd

Metal God

Metal God

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
do u mean i start up windows and then put in the cd? if so, yea ive tried that but it didnt work, i explored the folders in the cd and i came across IMAGES or some folder like that, so i opened it up and so a .img file, i used DAEMON to mount the image file and try to run it, but it didnt appear as a image file in the file dialog box in DAEMON, so then i selected files of type as "all files" and then tried to mount the .img file i heard the cd whirring for a bit, but nothing happend

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Metal God...

Do you "Press any mey to boot from cd" when the prompt appears? It'll be right on the bottom of the screen after the line "Boot from cd..."

wannabe1

Metal God

Metal God

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
no that line doesnt come anyways i did a fresh reinstall of windows, everythings aight so far...

rharris270

rharris270

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
It may be that you do not have an "XP" CDROM from Microsoft. Rather, you might have a "restoration" CDROM from ACER. The latter is an image of the PC as it was on the day you received it.

You can download (free) from Microsoft a set of floppy images that collectively are called "setup disks":

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q310994

These also contain most of the key features of the recovery console.