Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG destroyed my Windows Security Center.

• Please log in to reply

cassykins

cassykins

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
I used to run Norton AntiVirus 2005 as my anti-virus software before my free subscription ran out, and then I decided to switch to AVG Free Edition. I uninstalled Norton through the Add or Remove Programs utility from the Control Panel, then used SymNRT to get rid of any remaining bits of the program that might have gotten left behind. Only then did I install AVG.

Once I had AVG downloaded and installed onto my computer, I went back to my Security Center to make sure that the software was functioning properly. I saw this: all three of my security essentials (Firewall, Automatic Updates, Virus Protection) were marked as ON in green, and the resources column was showing, but underneath all that, right below 'Manage Security Settings for:', everything else was missing (see attachment).

Oh, and with ZoneAlarm, under the Programs tab, I can't seem to add the avgemc file (the e-mail scanning feature) into the programs list. I can add other files, but for some reason this one won't work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For the security centre, click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD and get a blue bar, reboot when the bar goes

Check if Zone alarm has its own e-mail scanner

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Gosh, that was fast. ^_^

Okay, I don't seem to have a Windows XP disc - only the Acer Recovery CDs that came with my computer. Discs 2, 3 and 4 do have the words XP Home SP2 printed on them, however. Will that work instead?

Yes, my ZoneAlarm comes with its own e-mail scanner (they call it E-mail Protection instead...but it should do just about the same thing, right?). I just feel weird knowing that a program on my computer isn't working the way it should. Call me a perfectionist or a worrywart or something...I just don't like the idea of not having everything in perfect working condition. Ack.

Thanks, anyway, for that quick reply!

Edited by cassykins, 03 September 2005 - 03:05 AM.

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Okay, I did as you instructed but the scanning thingy that popped out didn't ask for my XP disc. It just went on and on...oh, and some time during the scan a ZoneAlarm program alert appeared asking for permission to allow some file named spoolsv.exe to access the Internet. I granted it one-time access - is that fine?

Anyhow, the scan finished, and after a bit the gray box just disappeared without the bar turning blue first. I waited for a bit in case some other windows might appear but nope, nothing. Or was I supposed to load in the disc right at the beginning of the scan? :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Zone alarm may only want one e-mail scanner, as they will probably use the same port to scan, see if turning off the zone alarm one lets you run the AVG one, if not turn it back on

The system file check may work differently with recovery CD's but if it didn't have the capability it would have given a message straight off, and as it didn't ask for any discs it must be OK

I take it the security centre is still missing bits

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Yeah, it still is.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-installing SP2 might help but they do not seem to send it on CD anymore

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Could it be downloaded and re-installed off the Microsoft website? I'm kind of leery about putting that recovery disc into the computer just in case it decides to grow a mind of its own and reformats the whole machine without my knowledge.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will be able to remove it and then re-install it from Microsoft Update

Go to add / remove, tick show updates to make sure SP2 is included in the list

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Did that. Only problem is, when I check 'Show Updates', it only gives me a list of hotfixes and security updates - nothing with Service Pack 2 in it.

My copy of Windows XP came with Service Pack 2 installed...so perhaps that's the reason why it didn't show up? 'Cos when I got my computer and plugged it in it already had the security center and everything running.

Advertisements

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Okay - now I have another problem. Both yesterday and today morning, when I first booted up the computer, I'd have a small network icon in my system tray telling me its trying to connect to the Internet. Then later, it will tell me that there is limited area connectivity of some sort, and that I can't connect to the Internet. A reboot solves the problem though - although since it has happened both yesterday and this morning, I'm starting to get uncomfortable. Like the Security Center problem, it also began when after the uninstalling of Norton and installation of AVG.

I thought that maybe it would be a malware problem, but I've already done scans with AVG, MS AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware, a-squared and CWShredder, and they've all came up clean. Dunno whether it might be tied to the security center issue, though...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
After you have used add / remove to uninstall Norton, please go to section 2 of this

http://service1.syma...5&osv=&osv_lvl=

Click SymNRT.exe and run it

Get the Trial of Tune Up

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry clean up, click optimize then run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

This is for a free cleaner

http://www.filehippo...d_ccleaner.html

Run the cleaner, then press issues to run scan for issues, press fix selected issues and always take the option to make a back up, save them to a folder you create for storing these, if you get a problem, you double click the back up and select merge to undo the changes

Run the scan for issues until no issues show

Open Tune Up, click optimize then system optimization, run optimize my computer, use the drop down menu to select a computer with internet connection, this needs a reboot

Open Tune Up then click optimize then system optimization and run accelerate downloads, use the drop down menu to select the nearest speed above your actual connection speed, this needs a reboot

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Okay, I've completed all of the above steps except for the last one - the accelerate downloads. I know this is gonna sound real stupid but how do I figure out what is my Internet connection speed, exactly? o_o

Edited by cassykins, 05 September 2005 - 07:49 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Google line speed test for your location, otherwise they won't be accurate

There are a few here

http://www.broadband...om/stest?more=1

cassykins

cassykins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Great, thanks for the quick reply Keith. :tazz:

Okay, completed the last step now - hopefully that will help solve the problem. I'll still have to wait until tomorrow morning to check, but hopefully the issue's alright now.

Any more ideas on how to fix the Security Center? ^_^

Thanks again!