Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Reducing PING

• Please log in to reply

lemmythehag

lemmythehag

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[FONT=Arial]Hi, I used to be able to play Call of Duty and Medal of Honor at my old address as I had Broad Band without any problems at all, unfortunately I have moved into a new shared house now where it is only possible for me to use aol dial up (Whoopee) and it is nigh on impossible to enjoy a game now, due to high ping and lag (sometimes as high as 999!!!!! Other times at lowest about 350!!!) Is there anyway I can reduce this ping value at all??? I turn down all the detail settings etc and I also close off all unneeded background progs b4 I attempt to play. Sometimes I get lucky, but 80% of the time I appear to be playing using an elastic band lol..... I have an amd athlon 1800xp cpu, 512MB Ram, Nvidia geforce 2 400mx I know these pieces of hardware are not ideal, but they all worked perfectly before and with an amd 1Ghz cpu at my last address.......... PLEASE HELP. Thank you in advance. Ian.

Advertisements

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
dude it just dont work with dial up i have been living with dial up for ages my parents for some reason are anti hispeed but the only thing u can do is get hispeed

Lion

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Here broadband interent is alot cheaper that dial up internet so there is no good reason to get it.

lemmythehag

lemmythehag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
you are right dial up is errrrrrrrrrrr so last year lol but i did find a way around it by accident, any aol users out there on dial up, get this..... the aol tray icon, right click it and go for the start aol dialer option, it gets you online without all the aol gumpf. Maybe I am just lucky but that way, COD ping now is 158 ish rather than up to 999. Thank you guys for your input :0)

lemmythehag

lemmythehag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=blue]Errrrrrrrrrrrrr maybe I was wrong, I have just updated the game and I am back to 999 ping, i should take up knitting instead. :tazz: