Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Reader

• Please log in to reply

duytu

duytu

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi everybody!

My PC is using WinXP SP2 and regularly updated. About 1 month ago I installed Microsoft Reader 2.11, which after 6~8 time using, failed to open and popped up the message,"The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). ..." although I had (1) duly activated it; (2) uninstalled/ended suspected 3rd party programme (including Norton Antivirus); (3) even installed WinXP SP2 anew after all else failed. The problem was always there; in the case of new WinXP installation, MS Reader opened for a few times then failed as above.

I found out that:

If I started WinXP in Safemode, then Microsoft Reader could open.
If I started WinXP in NormalMode, then ended explorer.exe from Task Bar Manager, then it could open, too. If I ran explorer.exe again after MSReader was ALREADY opened, then it continued to function.

I tried some other e-book readers, such as palmReader, Ice book, etc. which operated faultlessly, unlike Microsoft Reader!

Please kind help since I like the application (MS Reader) and want to use it very much.

Thank you in advance

Duytu

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
because it loads in safe mode, I woudl assume you are having some sort of screen drawing issue with the video driver....did you install cleartype with this?

It may use some direct draw functions

I would

install newest video driver
update directx if it is not 9c already
install cleartype
http://www.microsoft...arTypeInfo.mspx

duytu

duytu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dear gerryf
Thank you for your guide. I have followed your advice (turn on clear type from Display/Settings) and updated video driver (NVidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400) but the problem (MS Reader not open) persists.

When I check Event Viewer, I see the following information:
(quote)
Event ID 26
File Nme ntdll.dll
Details:
Product: Widows Operating System
Event ID 26
Source: Aplication Popup
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: Status Log Hard Error

Explanation
The program could not load a driver because the program user doesn't have sufficient privileges to access the driver or because the drive is missing or corrupt.
(unquote)
I am in a blind alley again! I don't know a bit of what it says in order to start. Can you check and give me some more advice? Thank you again.

P.S.: As I said in the last message, in WindowsXP NORMAL MODE and desktop settings of (1024x768, true color, 75MHz) Microsoft Reader will open, too, BUT FIRST, EXPLORER.EXE MUST BE ENDED.
And e-book files of *.lit format (Microsoft Reader) cannot be opened by double clicking on them (showing the 0xc0000005 error message); instead they must be dragged and dropped onto the opened Mircrosof Reader.

duytu

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
<deleted>

Edited by Tony_1983, 03 September 2005 - 10:09 PM.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

because it loads in safe mode, I woudl assume you are having some sort of screen drawing issue with the video driver....did you install cleartype with this?
http://www.microsoft...arTypeInfo.mspx

View Post

Questions that I have are:

1) Do you have the lastest drivers from nvidia?
2) Are there any other instructions that you needed to read before installing the software?

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
I found this link for the software, is this the one that you have been downloading?

Microsoft Reader for Pocket PC

duytu

duytu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Tony 1983

Thanks for your help. Sorry I forgot to say that I didn't use a Pocket/Palm and I downloaded the Microsoft Reader for Windows with the purpose of reading /making *.lit e-books on my computer.

duytu

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Oh sorry, when I read it before it said that it was able to be used on Desktop PC as well

duytu

duytu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks, Tony.
Well, I upgraded with the latest Nvidia (7.7.7.2). No error/warning at all when I installed Microsoft Reader for Win. The weird thing is that I used it (opened it and read books with it) successfully for about 8 times before it suddenly popped up the error message on the next time I attempted to open it. In course of this I didn't install anything new nor change any settings. I just surf the web and see that several others also having the same problem unsolved. I have tried troubleshooting from Microsoft (nothing relevant) and tried to contact Microsoft Support Service. It refers me around and finally to a telephone No. in the States for pay-by-incident service, which is practically impossible with me as I am living in Vietnam.
Regards,

duytu

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Just to let you know that the lastest version is now 77.77