Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just started Networking internship

• Please log in to reply

cappetta72

cappetta72

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I was fortunate enough to find a company who is basically in the elementary stages of debugging a network. I dont know much about networking in general and I am using this as a learning experience and some hands on training (which will help me with my networking course next summer).

The companies setup consists of a netgear router and switch. 5 client computers, 1 server computer and 4/5 printers. As of now they have all the computers up and running on the server with 24hr renewable leases on the IP addresses. The printers are having problems with their IP addresses so they are only local printers.

Like I said I am new to all this and right now I am reviewing, organizing, and correcting some of the documentation. I have done some online searches for networking basics, but after finding this site on my search I thought I would ask for some specific resources...

I am a little hesitant to jump on one of their computers and start messing around so I am thinking of bringing in my laptop to connect wirelessly and trying to correct and access components that way... this way I dont knock one of their needed computers off the network and cause a problem...

anythoughts on that ?

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
1. the networking printer should uss static IP instead if dymanic IP.
2. sure, using you laptop to test is good idea.

cappetta72

cappetta72

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
thanks for the initial help, I will look at the IP address for the printers on Tuesday.

Great I figured the laptop idea was a good idea.... Is there anything that I might want to be careful of with using my laptop? I know that it is possible that I can mess-up the entire network but this is what I am thinking:

If I can connect my computer to their network and access the printers then I should be able to connect their computers to those printers as well...