Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen errors

• Please log in to reply

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
My computer would not do anything but go back and forth to the blue screen. I reinstalled Windows, but everytime I would re-start or shut-down I would be back where I started. Finally I went into msconfig and in startup, I disable everything but Win Zip. The computer started working.

Advertisements

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
1. When did this start?
2. Was anything recently installed / uninstalled?
3. What items does it normally list in startup?

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
This happened about 6 weeks ago. Since then I have been using my computer with the selective startup option. I had not installed anything or uninstalled anything. Could not figure what had happened. I was going to run hijack this and send you the log, but if I enable everything in the startup tab I would have to restart and if I restart I will only get a blue screen over and over. There are numerous items in the startup. I tried to print it out from msconfig, but was unable to.

Thank You
Rebecca

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
If you've got Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware and a good AV, see if you can go to Safe Mode and run scans using all of them.

I'm working on a customer's computer now that I had to do some cleanup in Safe Mode first.

Optionally, you can go through MSCONFIG and re-enable everything one at a time until you find the culprit...

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
No, I do not have Spybot S&D. I do have Ad-Aware SE and Norton 2005 Anti-Virus. I have been running them, but will do so again in safe mode.

I guess I will do just that. Enable everything one at a time. Problem is there are so many it will take quite a while, which is why I haven't done that yet.

Thanks.

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Run the scans in Safe Mode first, see if they find anything, and if they do, let tehm clean it up and try restarting normally.

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I ran Norton in Safe Mode, found no viruses. Ran Ad-Aware, found 9 objects and deleted them. Ran Spybot, found 61 problems and fixed. Then added a number of items in selective startup and rebooted, everything looks good. I ran Hijack This and have some RO and R1 files. Would you like to see the Hijack Log?

Thanks

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Sorry, I'm not nearly qualified to take care of a log yet. :tazz:
Post your HijackThis log in the Malware forums.
Be sure to Read this First.

After you've done everything there, post a new topic with your HjT log in the malware forum, and someone qualified will help you from there.

Rebecca C

Rebecca C

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
OK, I'll do that.

Thank you for all your help.

Rebecca

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts