Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Anti Virus

• Please log in to reply

mrfreckles

mrfreckles

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: Somehow Microsoft Exchange Realtime Protection has taken over my Norton Anti Virus and even though I check the box that reads "I have an anti virus program that I'll monitor myself" AND even though I have unchecked the box to enable "microsoft exchange realtime protection" it will not go away and I cannot get Norton to operate. Please help, but be gentle, I am a novice at some extent.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
is this a corp. computer? what version of norton are you using?

mrfreckles

mrfreckles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Corporate Edition
ver: 8/31/2005 rev 16
program version: 8.00.9374

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
its not uncommon for it not to show in the system tray. I see that a lot at work where we use version 8.1.

go to start, then run and type in "services.msc" without the quotes.

scroll down to symantec antirvirus client. it should be "started" and be set to automatic.

..... does your systray have a little arrow to expand it? could be its set to not display unless its active (just thought of that).

thanks,
Starjax

mrfreckles

mrfreckles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your help starjak.

No, the icon is NOT hidden on the task bar.

I did as you suggested to do, symantec is listed as "started".

But what I don't understand is, when I open up symantec and click on "configure" Norton is not listed there, but "Microsoft exchange realtime protection" is!
I do not want Microsoft protection, my company is paying for me to have Norton.
By the way, I work out of the home, that is why I am trying to deal with this on my own.

I just need to be assured that Norton is functioning properly (of course norton's website is of NO help, whatsoever)

AND I cannot for the life of me, get rid of that microsoft protection. :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
have your tried uninstalling and reinstalling it?