Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Optional Windows Updates

• Please log in to reply

Webby29

Webby29

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have recently re-installed Windows XP onto my laptop. Everything appeared to be working fine until I tried to watch a DVD. A friend told me that it was probably because I need a Windows optional software update to in order to do this. I looked at my install history and noticed that I only have critical and security updates installed. I appear to be missing all the recommended updates and I do not have an option to download and install these when I run Windows Update.

Thanks for any help,

Matt

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Webby29...Welcome to G2G!

Update from the Start menu...Click "Start" point to "All Programs" and click on "Windows Update" near the top of the menu.

When you get to the update page, choose "Custom" rather than "Express"...you can then choose the updates you wish to install.

wannabe1

Webby29

Webby29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the attempt, but I have already tried and it does not work.

Matt

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Theory

Is there any chance you have a pirated copy of windows? MS has at times had a policy where they allowed critical updates on pirated copies, but not recommended updates.

Thinking was that a pirtated copy was a risk to others, so they were permitting critical updates. I have no idea what today's policy is, but since all my copies are legit, I have no way to test this theory.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
btw, that's really not your problem.

Since windows xp does not have a built in dvd-decoder, you need a third party dvd decoder

http://www.microsoft...n02april15.mspx has more info

Webby29

Webby29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the help. It turns out that my InterVideo Decoder is not updated enough to work with Windows Media Player 10. I am currently trying to update it and hopefully this will solve my problem.

Matt

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Theory

Is there any chance you have a pirated copy of windows? MS has at times had a policy where they allowed critical updates on pirated copies, but not recommended updates.

Thinking was that a pirtated copy was a risk to others, so they were permitting critical updates. I have no idea what today's policy is, but since all my copies are legit, I have no way to test this theory.

View Post

GerryF,

I was reading some where, not sure if it is 100% true, and can't remember where I had read it, but I think that is one main reason for the Windows Advantage Tool.

If I remember that Windows Advantage Tool, I think also will stop security updates that are recommended if the windows is not ligit.

But In the morning I will ring microsoft and see what they say about it.