Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Administrator password

• Please log in to reply

pstedman

pstedman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an issue with my computer freezing up. It is a Gateway so I contacted their customer support people. I was told to put the operating system CD into the computer and boot from it. Unfortunately, the computer asks for an administrator password which I never, ever had. I called Microsoft and they sent me to a website which is very confusing. I am wondering how I can use my operator system CD or change the password I never had, lol. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Have you tried just leaving it blank??

Murray

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
correct---xp home administrator password is blank by default unless you set it to something else

pstedman

pstedman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I did try to leave it blank and that did not work. It said it was invalid and to type in the correct password. :tazz: At this time I am only trying to correct a minor problem causing my computer to freeze up on occasion after I have had it in standby mode for a while. If I ever truly need to boot with my operator system disk, I am in trouble.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Unfortunately, our ToS do not allow us to help crack, bypass, circumvent, etc passwords placed on a system..

What site did MS send you to??

Murray

pstedman

pstedman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was told to go to microsoft.com and then I entered a specific number that I cannot recall now. One option was to re-install Windows XP which I would prefer not to do. I am very puzzled as to why my system is asking for the administrators password as I am the original and sole owner of this computer and have never put a password in. I do not relish having to re-install XP. I hope there is another way.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just try doing an XP Repair rather than a full re-install..

Murray

rharris270

rharris270

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
It sounds like Gateway was attempting to help you run the XP recovery console, which does usually require a password. If blank does not work, then ask gateway what password to use. Assuming that they pre-installed XP, they should know about these things. However, if XP was insalled by you, or a third-party, then it is unreasonable to expect gateway to know the password.

If you can get into XP, even safe mode, you can change the registry to not ask for a password on the recovery console. While you are changing things, also premit yourself the ue of the "set" command in the recovery console:

Instead, just run REGEDIT and change two things that appear on the same page:

Start--> Run --> Regedit

Navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\ RecoveryConsole

Set the DWORD SetCommand value to 1

By the way, Microsoft offers some advice on the password problem in:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=308402

For more info on the set command, once you get into the recovery console, type "SET /?" without the quotes. For more info on "set" and the recovery console see the following Microsoft articles:

http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;314058

http://support.micro....com/kb/235364/

If you can not get into XP to change the regisrty, and if you can not determine the administrator password, you can try the following alternatives to the XP CDROM:

1. floppy disk set, downloadable from Micrcosoft. These are called "setup dsks", but I hear that they include most tools in the recovery console. Be sure to get the set appropriate for your version of XP. http://support.micro...om/?kbid=310994

2. Try the recovery console of a Windows 2000 CDROM.

3. On a separate compute, make a Bart's PE rescue CD, then try it on your problem computer. Bart's is similar to the recovery console, but a heck of a lot friendlier.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

pstedman

pstedman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for all your help. I did try using the operator system disk and do the XP repair and not a full re-install of XP. In this mode, it did not ask me for a password. It took about 39 minutes as it copied files and installed XP again. I know it was not a full blown install even though it looked like it. It saved all my existing files. We will see if the problem is solved as it did not save it had actually repaired anything. Hope so. Being only moderately savvy with the internal workings of the computer, not sure if I would have been able to follow the detailed instructions rharris gave me. Thank you very much for trying to help anyway.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Excellent.. Glad the "Repair" option worked.. It's usually the easiest way to go!!

Murray