Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro install help

• Please log in to reply

Pheonix6579

Pheonix6579

• Pip
  • 3 posts
OK I built this computer a while back and after dealing with a load of other problems I have narrowed it down to instaling wndows. OK to start things off when i boot up I get this message

Copyright 2001 Nvidia Corperation
PXE-E61:Media Test Failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent

ok then it goes to windows setup. I do everything that needs to be done and it formats and copies the files and goes and restarts like normal. However, when is boots up the secound time it does the same thing, and doesnt go to the "non-blue screen" instal/setup screen. It just goes back top square one.
As for the Nvidia message, I have looked at may forums and have tried every option. changes in boot sequence, everything.

I ahve been working on this computer for about 6 months :tazz: and it is really starting to bog me down so could someone please help me! :)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
As you have probably surmised, the boot agent message means your computer is trying to install windows from a network share.

That is not your problem

For whatever reason, windows setup is not creating a system partition or it is failing to write the boot sector to that partition.

Have you tried using the windows setup disks (floppies)?

Pheonix6579

Pheonix6579

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no, i just have the CD. I also dont have a floppy drive.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Is there any chance this drive is damaged?

If it were me, I would drop the drive in a different machine, partition and format it, copy the windows installation files to it, and then install from the harddrive.

Does that sound possible in your case?

Pheonix6579

Pheonix6579

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am not yet to comfortible or knowledged in moving things around. but it is a possibility, However, How would I do all that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Physically remove the drive...it is held in 4 screws and attached to the motherboard with a 80wire ribbon and to the power supply with a 4wire power connector.

Place it in a second pc, for our purposes, on a separate 80wire ribbon from the harddrive and make certain it is the only drive on that ribbon (no cd, for example....)--that way you do not have to monkey with slaving the drive.

If this idea is unsatisfactory, you could use a windows 98 cd, which is bootable...

create a partition and format it fat32,then install windows xp onto that partition, leaving it as is (do not convert to ntfs for the moment), the convert after all is up and running.