Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

connect more pc's?

• Please log in to reply

Britzy

Britzy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi sorry if this is really obvious or something...
I have a bt voyager router which has an ethernet cable exit and a usb exit...
I want to connect one pc to the usb exit..and my ps2 to the ethernet cable...the problem is my parents want another computer connected which will work at the same time as the other two....is there anyway to split one of these?and will it work at the same time?

thanks alot in advance
again sorry if this is stupid....
craig

Advertisements

BoomShake007

BoomShake007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Are you sure it's a router and not jsut a modem? I think i've seen those single port routers before...but they confuse me.

Anyway, one method that I can think up off the top of my head is set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the computer directly connected to the Voyager router thing and then connect your second PC to the first PC. I'm not familiar with the actual configuration, but I believe microsoft.com has some useful info on that.

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Buy a hub, its easier and is OS independent.

Connect a simple 4-port hub to the modem (if its strictly a modem, and not a router/modem, you might need a switch instead of a hub...)

Then connect the PCs / PS2, whatever. That way, you're not wasting resources on one PC using ICS.

Give the model # of the modem and we can tell you if its a router or a modem only. :tazz:

Edit: Just checked Voyager's site, looks like pretty much routers only, go for a hub, I wouldn't even bother with the USB port on the router either, ethernet should be faster / more reliable connection.

Edited by NullWolf, 04 September 2005 - 01:48 AM.

Britzy

Britzy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks for the help,
i cant find the model number(is that the same as the serial number?
but on the front it says Bt voyager 200 router and underneath asdl modem...
does that mean i will need a switch thing?
thanks, craig

NullWolf

NullWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

The BT Voyager 200 Router is a state of the art ADSL Router that lets you connect up to 2 computers or a games console to your ADSL line.

You should be able to connect a hub, then run ethernet to all 3 devices (the 2 PCs and the PS2. You'll wanna check and see if the router gives you enough IP addresses too.