Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virii gone, but it ate Wininet.dll

• Please log in to reply

Hollow

Hollow

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, great forum here, sorry I have to come here with a question first-off though. :)

My mother got PsGuard/Smitfraud yesterday. I've already removed the virii and ran all the malware removal programs..but it seems that during the whole process, Wininet.dll was infected and therefore deleted. I replaced Wininet.dll with one I found on the internet (at DLL-files.com I believe), which allows the computer to start..but you can't really use it.

Constant Explorer pagefaults. Module <unknown> at 0000:0043da2a

Does anyone know if this is really Wininet's fault, or something else? I was going to delete this Wininet again but I thought that'd be a bad idea. And I already checked, there are no other copies of Wininet on the system.

I ran System File Checker, it didn't say anything was lost/changed (which I found odd). I can run it from DOS perfectly, and if I'm fast enough I can shut down to MS-DOS mode before the pagefault shows up.

This is a Pentium 75 running on Win98 here, so you can imagine my frustrations :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

Hollow

Hollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, did as you said. :tazz:

Pagefaults still happening though, but the number changed to 0000:00437c0e

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Hellos Hollow, in this version of win98SE the wininet.dll is located in win98, the cabinet file #44, If your installation files are on your hard disk or you have the cd you should be able to extract it from there, you should also be able to replace it with system file checker using the replace function.

Hollow

Hollow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Awesome, pagefaults are gone. Thanks for telling me which cab it was. :tazz: Outlook Express 5 refuses to open though, pagefaults. Internet Explorer also is acting strange..back and forward wouldn't work, "invalid argument". After shutting it down, IE won't work at all now, so I'm just going to download and install IE 6. Hopefully that'll clear up the rest of the problems.

Again, thanks so much, helpful folk. :)