Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

D-link Problem

• Please log in to reply

Superman1101

Superman1101

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having problems with my d-link router. I have cable high speed internet and obviously that comes with a modem. I have my own d-link router which I have successfully hooked up the router to use as wireless internet. The problem I am having is in regards to keeping the IP address on my wireless card. I have full strength as far as signal goes but after anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour, the IP address is lost and I can not access the internet until it finds an address again. What can be done about this? Also, is there anyway to require a password for extra protection from unauthorized access? I am running OSX 10.3.9. Thank you very much.

Advertisements

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
I have the same hardware and the same problem! Usually I either restart the computer or just use repair on the Network Connection! It is very annoying, I haven't had the problem for few days now!
RockyIV

Superman1101

Superman1101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am unable to find Network Connect, how do I do this repair thing?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You need to go to the router's access page to make any serious changes. You need a cable connection to do it, that is ethernet if it's an ethernet router, etc.. On many routers it's http://192.168.1.1 but by no means all. Look in the router hand book if that doesn't access it. Also look for the login name and password for the page, it's usually admin, admin. You can't enter it with wireless, for security reasons, until you assign new login names and passwords.

Superman1101

Superman1101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The d-link is second hand from my dad and he has since thrown away the manual and the web link that you included in your reply does not work, is there anything else I can do?

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
dlink is usually username-admin. password admin.

as for the ip adress to login why not loock at the ip address it give the computer eg 192.169.1.2 in which case it is probable that the routers ip would be 192.168.1.1 etc.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

The d-link is second hand from my dad and he has since thrown away the manual and the web link that you included in your reply does not work, is there anything else I can do?

View Post

Many people have problems setting up networks so there is a lot of information on Google. Just include enough stuff to narrow your search and you can find what you want. Don't forget the dlink website and ftp site, they have plenty of info.

Edited by Tyger, 04 September 2005 - 06:42 PM.

highlandguru

highlandguru

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Try 192.168.2.1 as the address of the router.
It may also be necessary to change your own IP address manually to be within in the same range i.e. change your own IP address to 192.168.2.2

That should work unless you D-Link router is NOT set with the default settings.

I hope this helps.

hellfox

hellfox

• Pip
  • 1 posts
d-link default ip is usually 192.168.0.1 linksys is 192.168.1.1 and netgear (i think) is 192.168.2.1 but if you are unsure just plug in go to command prompt and type in ipconfig the one that says gateway is the one you are looking for. Also you could try to static the ip of your wireless card but you will need to know what the ip scheme is if you do this. If the router isn't set to defaults then the problem may be security on the router if it has a reset button use it then see what happens.

Edited by hellfox, 08 April 2009 - 07:22 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
I dumped D link years ago due to connection issues. My son wanted it at his Moms house and I gave it to him. He has sense dumped it for the same issues and has gone to Linksys (as I have).
Could have been a bad router, or model. I wasn't going to try another.