Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hijack this log [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Not laughing at all :tazz: I'm sure other users have similar problems if they never ran through these procedures before.

OK, is this happening when you use SFC? Insert the CD now. Let it load and cancel out or close the window if it opens. Now go to Start->Run and type in sfc /scannow and hit OK. It should run the scan again. It should detect those files again. Let it replace or copy them over from the CD.

Advertisements

annika7

annika7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
okay, it's scanning and the disk is in. I'm getting a message that says, "files required for windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache. insert your windows xp home edition CD-ROM now." then i have the option to retry, more information or cancel. now what, kind sir?

annika7

annika7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Never got the thing to finish scanning, kept getting that message about the cache. Interestingly though, my cpu usage is now running between 4 and 15%. Everything that was running when it was at 100% is still running. (I think I hear the twilight zone theme in the backround...)

Oh, and still no display tabs, but I found out that if you bring up display in the control panel, then hit ctrl + tab it will change to the next tab. Then, I can use my arrow keys to toggle between tabs, even though I never see them all. At that point, I can change my screensaver and stuff. Odd....

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Seems like it's not seeing the XP CD. Are you inserting the Windows XP Home Edition CD?

Right-click on this link and choose Save As. Save it to your Desktop. Now double click on that file and click on Yes to add it to the registry.

Restart your computer. Are the display tabs back now?

annika7

annika7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello again,

Well, bad news. No tabs. I tried that another time, I still had it on my desktop, but I tried it again, and sadly, it didn't work.

Yes, the CD I'm inserting says "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition". Could it be corrupt?

Did you get that message about the silent running log? This is what it said:
Keyboard Driver Filters:
------------------------

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\
"UpperFilters" = INFECTION WARNING! "msikbd2k" ["Netropa Corporation"]

I got this one as well:

HOSTS file
----------

C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\HOSTS

maps: 699 domain names to IP addresses,
2 of the IP addresses are *not* localhost!

Thanks for your time:)

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
I never asked for that log. But those two you mentioned should be ok.

This doesn't sound to be spyware/virus related anymore. I recommend posting this question in the Windows Forum instead. They should better assist you over there. Tell them the problem you have.

If you don't have any more questions related to spyware/viruses, I will close this topic.

annika7

annika7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I know you didnt....I was looking at posts and saw that and ran it. I really appreciate all your efforts, and I will post on the other forum. Again, thanks for your time, you were wonderful to work with:)

greyknight17

greyknight17

Malware Expert

• Visiting Consultant
  • 16,560 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.