Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access is denied

• Please log in to reply

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Again,

Tried to download a filed from microsoft. After the download had completed a tried to install on my system.

My system said that "I dont have permission to access the file" or something simialr to this.

As this is not the first time it has happened, can any body suggest why my system is saying this?

Peter

Advertisements

puterman

puterman

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello Peter,

First off, Welcome to Geeks to Go!!

Assuming you are running Windows XP on the system in question, make sure you are logged on as a user with Administrative privileges.

If you are not sure if you are logged on as an Administrator you can try this simple test:

How to tell which type of account you're using now
If you're using Microsoft Windows XP, an easy way to tell whether you're using a Limited User or Administrator user account is to move your pointer over the clock on the bottom right of your screen. Right-click the clock, and then click Adjust Date/Time.

• If you're using a Limited User account, you will get a message reading "You do not have the proper privilege level to change System Time."

• If you are using an Administrator account, a small window will open with controls that enable you to change the time and date on your computer.

If you are not logged onto an Administrator account, reboot and log in as "Administrator".

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
HI Puterman,

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Yeah i do have admin account but doesnt seem to allow me to install certain software. An example would be MSN Messenger 7.5. It get upto about 75% installed then says i dont have access. The file that i dont have access to is a *.dll file.

This happens all the time.

Do you have any other suggestions???

puterman

puterman

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
What is it you are trying to Download from Microsoft when you get the "access denied error"?

Also What version of XP are you running? SP1 or SP2?

Edited by puterman, 05 September 2005 - 01:56 PM.

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi again,

I am running service pack2. I am trying to install MSN Messenger. The file is called "install_msn_messenger.exe".

My computer always does this when a *.dll file need to be copied, replaced or whatever.

The guy who i got my computer from did change settings somewere to stop worms etc from getting into my computer.

I am not sure were he went to change settings.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Peter

puterman

puterman

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Have you tried a system scan ?

Read this :System Scan

You will need your OS Disk

patchy_pete

patchy_pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hi Puterman,

Seems to have done the trick, i dont understand how but it has.

Thanks heaps for your help.

Peter.
Melbourne, Australia.

:tazz:

RockyIV

RockyIV

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Melbourne, Australia.

:tazz: