Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IE won't open any pages

• Please log in to reply

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
hi tonygg,

I am still consulting this with my fellow tech staff members. Please standby for a moment. :tazz:

Advertisements

tonygg

tonygg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks, greatly appreciate all the help that I can get. I tried again to reinstall SP2 hoping that that version of IE would correct the problem, but still the same. IE opens, but when I put a URL into the address bar, the hour glass just churns away and nothing happens.....

Tony

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
hi tonygg,

sorry for the long wait. Please follow Method II in this link.
http://www.theelderg...ie_and_oe_6.htm

if all fails I am afraid you need to do a complete re-install of Windows XP. (Method I).

tonygg

tonygg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks so very much for all of your suggestions...However, I find myself at a blank wall without a solution except to reinstall XP to get IE working again... MS strikes again...

Wish that you and your friends would come up with an alternative to XP...

Good luck and thanks again for your efforts....

Tony

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hi tony,

After the re-installation of your Win XP, let's make a new restore point:

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
[/list]System Restore will now be active again.

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs:
  • SpywareBlaster to help prevent spyware from installing in the first place.
  • SpywareGuard to catch and block spyware before it can execute.
  • IESpy-Ad to block access to malicious websites so you cannot be redirected to them from an infected site or email.
  • MVPS Hosts File The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known AD sites, etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
You should also have a good firewall. Here are 3 free ones available for personal use:and a good antivirus (these are also free for personal use):It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

Internet Explorer is NOT the most secure and best browser. There are safer and better alternatives available. I recommend:To keep your operating system up to date visitmonthly. And to keep your system clean run these free malware scannersweekly, and be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klein: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Want to know more about me? Visit .: My Blog :.

tonygg

tonygg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for all of the advice. In the future, how does prevent some rogue from turning off System Restore? When I tried to go to System Restore, I found it had been turned off!

Tony

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Most of the programs I recommended will prevent most of the hijacking attempts. So you will be safe. Always do an update to the latest definition. :tazz:

tonygg

tonygg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Which one would you advise me to keep?

Tony

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
spywareblaster,spywareguard,iespyad,mvphost

ONLY ONE firewall, ONLY ONE Antivirus - it's up to you to choose

Firefox(recommended).

spybot, adaware

windows update.

tonygg

tonygg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am using Firefox as my only browser but can't get to windows update without IE, which I still do not have.

How do I extract all the items that you asked me to put into the register?

Tony

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hi tony,

Did you mean after you re-installed Windows XP your IE still wont open?
How about a reformat then re-install it again.
http://www.webtree.c...p/repair_xp.htm

Let me know how it goes.

tonygg

tonygg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi:

No, I have not reinstalled XP yet. I am just using Firefox and getting along just fine at most websites.

I am going to be out of town for the next two weeks or so. When I get back, I will probably scrub the disk. I am learning that repairing is almost impossible when you get so much junk in the registry and that it is better and quicker in the long run to just scrub and start over. I wind up doing just that about every six months or so. This is the shortest time for all was working well until I picked up something.....

So when are you coming out with a better operation system so that we can toss Windows..

Take care and again many thanks for your help...

Tony

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hi Tony,

Take care with the two weeks! Update me how your system goes after the reformat and installation of Win XP. Dont forget the programs I recommend to better protect you from future reinfections.

The new Windows is WINDOWS VISTA:
http://www.geekstogo...-Vista-f79.html