Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to delete folders - read only attrib

• Please log in to reply

soup dragon

soup dragon

• Pip
  • 5 posts
hello
i have just reinstalled windows xp home (complete format of c:) and now i am re-installing programs and stuff. I have various partitions on my hdd (c: for windows and utils, e: for games, m: for music etc) I need to re-install my games so that I get the registry to see the files on my e: drive. However, all my folders are now read only! some will not allow me to re-install over the old data, so i install in another folder and then try to delete the old folder but it wont let me as it is read-only.
When i try to set the attribute using the properties of the folder it asks if i want to remove the read only from all files and folders with in the main folder and i click yes but it gives me an error telling me access is denied.
i have tried to change the attribute using the cmd line but it doesnt work (attrib -r /s/d) it seems to be doing something but when i check then the folders are all set to read only again.
I am at my wits end with this problem and another one that i will post in a separate topic so someone please help :tazz:

Advertisements

pogonici

pogonici

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Try log in as Administrator and than delete those folders.

Pogo

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Don't be misled by seeing 'read only' when you look at a folder's properties. Folders cannot be 'read only', only the files inside them.
If you look closely when you open a folder's properties, there is a solid square block inside the 'read only' option. That's telling you that it does not apply to folders. If any files inside a folder cannot be deleted , then the folder cannot be deleted either --- it's not because the folder is 'read only'. You have to get rid of those 'locked' files before the folder can be deleted. They are being used by Windows. Changing a file's properties to turn 'read only' off is not going to change the fact that they are being used by Windows. What you need to do is turn off the Windows shell temporarily like this:
1. Open a command prompt, leave it open.
2. Open task manager and close the explorer.exe process.
3. back at the command prompt, navigate to where those files are.
4. When you're in the folder where thoise files are, type "DEL *.*" (without quotes) and press ENTER.
5. Open task manager again, click the 'Users' tab then click 'Log off'.
6. Log on again to restore Windows and now you should be able to delete those folders which should now be empty.

Edited by pip22, 05 September 2005 - 08:53 AM.

soup dragon

soup dragon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
followed your instructions but i am still unable to delete them. here is the cmd window

E:\Program Files 1\Bersirc 2.2>cd icons

E:\Program Files 1\Bersirc 2.2\icons>del *.*
E:\Program Files 1\Bersirc 2.2\icons\*.*, Are you sure (Y/N)? y
E:\Program Files 1\Bersirc 2.2\icons\16-bers.ico
Access is denied.
E:\Program Files 1\Bersirc 2.2\icons\32-bers.ico
Access is denied.
E:\Program Files 1\Bersirc 2.2\icons\bersirc.xpm
Access is denied.

E:\Program Files 1\Bersirc 2.2\icons>

still getting access denied. I had closed explorer.exe via the task manager. any ideas?

there are loads of files that i want to delete so if there is a quicker way then that would be great. :tazz: