Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Hardware detected

• Please log in to reply

scmishra

scmishra

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My Win XP detects a printer Hardware every time I starts the PC.
But unable to install the same.

I have only one HP 3325 Inkjet Printer which is attached to USB port.
This printer works fine.
I have no Parallel Printer attached to LPT port.

Some days back I had tried to install a HP Scanner through LPT port. but due to some fault the same could not install properly.

In Device Manager Problem Components was shown for this scanner that I could not uninstall as there was a message like some... boot time installation... unable to uninstall ... etc. ( I could not recollect correctly)

Later Those components I had deleted from REGEDIT. The problem components disappeared from Device Manager. But in system information the following details appear under problem device.

Not Available ROOT\IMAGE\0000 This device is disabled.
Not Available ROOT\IMAGE\0001 This device is disabled.
Not Available ROOT\IMAGE\0002 This device is disabled.
Not Available ROOT\IMAGE\0003 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Now every time I stsrt windows, it detects 'printer' and later unable to install its driver and a remark appears that a "problem occurred during hardware installation. and the hardware will not work. etc.. etc.."

This happens every time the WinXP starts. But not in Win98 ( I have Dual booting system)

I disabled plug and play component in System Configuration Utility. and the problem did not happen. But this is not the solution.

Can any one help ? ?

Advertisements

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

Try and disable the LPT1 port from device manager in XP and reboot your system and see if the hardware error goes away, however if this works then you lose out on a parallel port.
Sorry, that's all I can think of right now.

Edited by fungit, 04 September 2005 - 02:57 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If the safely remove hardware icon shows up in the the system tray when this happens, use it to uninstall the device in question. The problem should then disappear.

scmishra

scmishra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Eureka
Got a similar link with microsoft at the following address

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;298370

Details are as follows:
The New Hardware Wizard may detect the printer device after every restart of the computer
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 298370
Last Review : June 10, 2005
Revision : 5.0
This article was previously published under Q298370
Important This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
256986 (http://support.micro....com/kb/256986/) Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
SYMPTOMS
Whenever you restart your computer, the Found New Hardware Wizard may detect your previously installed printer, even though it is not a newly installed printer.
CAUSE
This problem may occur if one of the following conditions is true:• The printer driver does not use Plug and Play for its installation.
• The following registry key has become damaged:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, complete all the steps in the New Hardware Wizard, even though the wizard cannot detect a new printer.
RESOLUTION
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this problem, contact the manufacturer of your printer for an updated driver or specific instructions about how to complete the Found New Hardware Wizard for your particular printer.

For example, visit the following HP Web site for information about HP printers:
http://h10025.www1.h...en&cc=us&dlc=en (http://h10025.www1.h...en&cc=us&dlc=en)
To use Registry Editor to remove the damaged registry key, follow these steps:1. Log on to your computer by using an administrator account.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
4. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
5. Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.
6. Under Confirm Key Delete, click Yes.
7. Close Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.
When Windows XP restarts, it will detect the printer and install support for it. After the printer is installed, it will no longer be detected each time you start Windows XP.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
MORE INFORMATION
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64-Bit Edition (Itanium)
• Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002
• Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

peterfa

peterfa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I had this problem once.

from memory I went to the Device Manager in Win XP and clicked View --> Show hidden devices.

A few printer devices with yellow exclamations came up and I disabled them and the problem went away.

Good Luck