Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win98 Stuck In DOS

• Please log in to reply

g-fi

g-fi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
when we last heard from our hero...
Win98SE was running great until 1ne day when it kept asking to "please install floppy" in drive A:/ (or something like that). i fiddled around with a Win98 StartUp Disk and managed 2 get it boot up, but now it's stuck at the C:/ prompt and won't turn over in2 Windows. peering cautiously in2 the inky depths of DOS seemed 2 reveal that both the config.sys and autoexec.bat files inexplicably could not b found. further attempts 2 reinstall Win98 from the CD produced and error message preventing me from completing the installation procedure. i'm no Electrical Engineer (Audio actually, and 4 hire in the Toronto, Ontario area, since u asked), so i'm unsure if i should b quivering in my spaceboots at this point. surely there's a fix that can b administered in the mix or something, right... (he said sheepishly)?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This will rebuild rather than restore the registry and also replace missing or corrupt system files

Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 right after the beep until you get options, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter, it will run through a few screens then say registry repaired. Press enter then press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

When it has loaded, click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools, system information, tools then run system file checker and replace any files it asks for from the 98SE CD then reboot.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When the dos prompt comes up type in

dir /p

and hit Enter. Tell us what you see. That is in disk C:. When the prompto comes up for A: if you're using the boot floppy put in C: and Enter to open C:.

Edited by Tyger, 05 September 2005 - 05:23 AM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Just for your info too.... windows 98 doesn't usually use an autoexec.bat and config.sys unless it is being setup to run in dosmode. In other words a clean install of windows 98 will probably not have any config.sys or autoexec.bat UNLESS some device driver installs dos compatibility drivers automatically ( this would usually be older sound cards) when the windows driver installs.