Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wont connect to the internet

• Please log in to reply

403Guru

403Guru

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi im a comupter noob so plz bare with me and help as much as you can thanks.

i reformated my computer and when i connect to the internet i get this site.
"ca8.hpwis.com/"
then i try to go into a different site and it stays at the same site.
i try and re try to reformat but my computer still remains at the same state.
and now i cant even click on anything on my desktop. i double click a program and it doesnt even do anything.
sometimes the internet will work for like a few minutes then it will lag out and when i try to get back on it says page cannot be displayed.
um i tried repairing my connection.

and im sure its not my internet cable and its not the modem. cos my other computer works. plz help me. thank you in advance all repliers.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi 403Guru...Welcome to G2G!

i reformated my computer and when i connect to the internet i get this site.
"ca8.hpwis.com/"

That site is a pretty good indicator that a virus and/or malware is causing your problems. It takes literally seconds to get infected from the internet if proper security precautions are not in place when you connect

Please post this to the Malware Forum and click the Start Here link. Following the information there, you can clear up about 70% of problems related to malware (which I suspect might be part of your problem). Then post a HijackThis log to That Forum. If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the experts there, post back to this thread.

wannabe1

403Guru

403Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok i did what you asked but how can i dl those things winsiock etc..
if i cant go into my internet??
would i have to get it burned then insstall it?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Most of them are very small and will fit on a floppy...those that are larger than 1.44MB would have to be burned to a cd.

When you formatted your drive, did you use the XP cd and then do a clean install?

wannabe1

403Guru

403Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i did a clean istall. everything is gone. my computer is the way i bought it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

Do you have SP2? If you do, make sure your firewall is enabled. If you don't have SP2, update your windows until you get the SP2 update. OR you could install a third party firewall such as Sygate Personal Firewall

Run Disk Cleanup (Under System Tools) and dump all the Temp Internet Files. Reboot and then try to go online. Make your first stop a download of an AV program such as Avast Home Edition or AVG Free Edition. It wouldn't hurt to download and use the Firefox Browser either..it's way more secure than IE and you could start with a fresh Internet Cache.

All recommended downloads are Free for personal use.

EDIT...How do you connect to the internet? Modem...Lan...Cable?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 04 September 2005 - 04:22 PM.

403Guru

403Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i connect through cable internet.
i did all the stops in the malware (click here)

but after i installed the sp1 my programs wont work appropiatly.
like i can probably open one program then when i try to open another one it wont even do anything. after that i cant click on anything.

then i try to open the hijack this and it lags.
so i cant exactly send you the hijack list can i?

my friend suggested i reformate my computer and install a burnt cd with sp2 windows update on it. and put nortan anti virus to go along with it. what do you think about that??

or just tell me what to do next plz?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
403Guru...

Was this clean install done with a burned copy of XP...or a retail CD?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 05 September 2005 - 12:56 AM.

403Guru

403Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
for clean up i used programs such as winsock/ewido/ad-aware SE all the programs that was mentioned to use in the malware forum.
if yoru asking how do i reformat i have reformating CD's. so whenever i feel my computer needs to be reformated or its been infected with a virus i reformat it. but lately when i try to reformat and i do a destructive w/e its called. the viruses are still there.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
403Guru....

You may have some corrupt system files. Let's run the System File Checker to replace any bad ones.

Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (this might take up to an hour). When it's finished, click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r /x (Again...note the spaces) and reboot when prompted. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1