Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Problem

• Please log in to reply

Rashed

Rashed

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I tried connecting my computer to my tv to watch a movie. I messed around with ATI Catalyst Control Center and I went through some options and I wasn't successful. I went to Display Settings and clicked on "Make this my primary monitor and the other box". Now my TV acts as the primary monitor and my main PC monitor is all messed up and the color fades out and I can't even see the desktop. I can't even go into the monitor menu because everything is black with a few white l ines. The monitor is on. Now it acts like 2 monitors, like when I print screen it shows 1 empty desktop and 1 functional desktop. I have a ATI X800XL GPU and it had a TV feature so I tried it out and now I'm really stuck. I want to put everything back to default and go back to viewing my computer with my monitor, can anyone help me out step by step, please! I'm in deep trouble with my parents as well, please help out :tazz:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. The manual for the video card should tell you how to do that. If you don't have a manual, you should be able to download one at the manufacturer's web site:
http://www.ati.com/

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

If you still can't figure it out please post again and I will try to help you out as I've done this on occasion myself with both Nvidia and ATI cards :tazz:

Rashed

Rashed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey, I see that you encountered the same problem as me. My PC monitor keeps flickering and fading out and I can't see the desktop or even anything that happens on the monitor. It sometimes goes to normal with occasional flickers, but after 30-40 seconds my monitor starts flickering fast and fades out and you really can't see much but wierd lights. I'm on my tv at the moment and it's very uncomfortable, I hope someone can help me out. I have a 17" Sony HDSM73 model, any help would be greatly appreciated.

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi rashed,

First of all shut down the system remove the tv out cable from your video card, Power on and boot into safe mode(Start the computer and press 'F8' key continuosly)
Choose Safe mode then 'yes' to work in safe mode.
Click on control panel>Add or remove programs, select ATI catalyst drivers and uninstall, if asked, select and remove all components.

Reboot your system.

Now reinstall your ati drivers.

Edited by fungit, 10 September 2005 - 02:00 AM.

Rashed

Rashed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Fungit, the problem is that I can't even see the start up screen or anything. It's just a faded color just appearing and disappearing and so on. It won't even let me see the Windows loading screen or any other part of the start up. Should I just press F8 and press enter blindly and see if it works in safe mode? Or do you think it' not the monitors problem and the wire is the problem?

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Okay,

Just want to doublecheck, If your tv out is connected to your tv, can you see your entire desktop, mouse cursor and icons on the tv screen?

By the way, which version of Ati Catalyst control centre are you using 5.7 or 5.8?
I need to know because I just set up an ATI R9000 card to a television using 5.7 and trying all the various monitor options. Please post back

Edited by fungit, 10 September 2005 - 10:10 AM.