Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installing WIN98

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
My wrong. I asked questions but did not reboot. I put new folders in D, E and F, then rebooted. When I checked folders they all still had folders in them. I deleted the folders and now have a recycled icon in each folder/drive. D has been renamed as I wanted to Photo.
You saw I did a quick Scan? It might not be the right way.

What's next?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Clarification... Drives are now named as you wanted? Can you delete the "Recycled folder icons" in each drive? Original folders did hold over reboot and delete on command? Sounds like we are about there.....

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I tried to delete Recycled icon from drives and it gives me a warning - The folder Recycled is a system folder. If you delete, Windows or another program may no longer work correctly. Are you sure you want to move this folder and it's contents to the Recycle Bin? Y/N

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on the icon and choose open...what's in there? Then go back to Folder Options and check the button next to "Do not show hidden or system files". See if they go away.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
In all three drive's Recycled icon I saw three folders. When I selected the Do Not Show button the icons went away.
WooHoo!
What's next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just one more thing...Right click on "MY Computer" and then "Properties" under the Device Manager tab...any yellow ? or ! there?

Edited by wannabe1, 05 September 2005 - 11:20 PM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
In Device Manager I see only +

Under Performance tab it notes that Drive E and F are using MS-DOS compatibility mode file systems -if that means anything.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What it means, My Friend, is that you are Good To Go...Great Job and way to stick with it! :tazz: :) :)

wannabe1

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I guess what I wonder about now is what virus protection and so on I should consider. I bought Norton's 2005 with personal firewall before the great crash. Virus protection and what ever else I should consider.

I have a DSL Lite setup. My son added a wireless 2.4 GHz broadband router so he could use his laptop without running lines all across the house. I'm kinda concerned about firewall but he says he has his laptop protected. It's setup with phone line going to my modem, ethernet to his wireless router, then an ethernet to my computer.

Just some suggestions tonight and I'll follow up later - on another thread!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Avast has a very good Free Anti-Virus...you can download it HERE

Sygate has a good firewall available free HERE

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you have any more problems or have any questions, please feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help if I can. :tazz:

wannabe1

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I am in extreme thanks for the amazing amount of time and information given to me in this site. I am extremely grateful for the help in helping me through some trying times!

I bet I'll be thinking about you in the future, wondering "why on God's green earth did I want to get this computer fixed so I'd end up wasting so MUCH time on this modern day blasted BOOB tube!!!"

I'm up. I'm running, I'm exhausted and I'm going to bed!

Mucho, mucho, mucho thanks for all you've done!! Amazing!! If I need to put my thanks somewhere else or brag about this site, just let me know.

bamakodaker

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks bamakodaker...Glad we could help.

wannabe1