Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Same question for the hundredth time

• Please log in to reply

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

High, I have a comp of 2gb, which linux, which boot up disk.
another at 4gb, sane questioin.

Tried Kubunto for both, failled probably too big.
Tried smalller distro, cd doesn't say which one but I think it is DSL, failled also, for the 4gb machine.

I am running kubunto on my main machine, crashes, and broken sound on playing mp3s, but I agree it is wonderful for surfing and beyond the Empire.

View Post

Kubunu is still quite buggy. if you used Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop, it won't crash as much. Kubuntu just came out in the latest distro which is 5.04 Hoary Hedgehog. I am running my Ubunutu install on a 5GB hdd. I have the full install as well as a lot of extras, plus my own programming on the disk in Java2, and I still have 2.3Gb on the hard drive as useable space. as for installing programs If your not afraid of doing the occasional recompiling, its actually quite easy to install other linux based software because of synaptic, and aptitude. so far the only recompiling, if you will, of any software was my driver for my Lexmark Printer, other than that everything installed with no problems, and all my hardware was found automatically.

Plus, unlike Suse or Mandriva, all support for Ubuntu/Kubuntu is free. They have a support forum similar to this forum at http://www.ubuntu.com/community/forums from this page you can choose your native language, if your not english speaking. Plus there is the Wiki webpage. There is also a a site dedicated to installing extras, like flash and Adobe into your Firefox install at http://www.ubuntuguide.org. And you can't foget about the IRC channel that has a lot of people in there helping with Ubuntu/Kubuntu installs on irc.freenode.net channel #Ubuntu.

Just my $.02 worth.

Advertisements