Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing audio after Noton AntiSpyware 2005 install

• Please log in to reply

clairest

clairest

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Last night, I could hear a song play on my friend's band webpage, http://www.myspace.com/officemusic. The song plays as soon as the page loads. Today, I installed Norton's Internet Security AntiSpyware edition 2005 and have spent the afternoon changing settings so that the internet performs like I am used to. Shoot, at first I couldn't even connect to the internet after installing.

I can hear music clips on iTunes music store. I can listen to AOL radio (which I clicked Permit All specifically for AOL radio on the firewall settings). I'm just trying to list examples because I don't understand what will and won't play. I can hear a horrible song clip on this webpage,Shoo Fly. I can watch the Peanut Butter Jelly clip.
I have been browsing through Norton's control panel and have tried changing different settings and changing them back when it didn't work. Symantec's forum was zero help and I get the runaround when I try to find a way to email a technical question to a representative.
There has to be some simple answer. What is it?
I love GeeksToGo. Whenever some snafu happens, I hold back my frustration, because there's someone I can ask for help.

Advertisements

clairest

clairest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Um, this seems to be working okay now after a restart, run webpage with security disabled once, and another restart with security on. Now I just have to figure out why the printer can't talk to the computer and trying to use it causes a massive slow down when nothing is running in Task Manager...
Is the medicine worse than the disease? I guess not.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
i ran the beta test for this software. it is a resource hog and needs a lot of work on it. you are better off with a decent firewall and something like spybot and adaware. if you want a commercial app then I suggest spy sweeper by webroot. excellent product.

clairest

clairest

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have to agree about Norton's 2005 AntiSpyware edition being a resource hog. I have seen a significant slowdown in startup and especially shut down, takes a good 5-7 minutes.
It also reminds me of an overprotective parent that never lets their kid go out or date because you might get into trouble. I am having such issues configuring it so I can access what I am used to accessing on my computer. Like my printer! My printer is directly connected by USB. When I disable Norton, it can print. When Norton is on, trying to print causes a near crash that I have to shutdown to clear out. Norton's knowledge base claims that "Norton Internet Security and Norton Personal Firewall do not contain any components that would interfere directly with a local printer." But my experience shows that to be a lie. And there is no way for me to email my problem to them for advice and I'm not making a $30 phone call for them to tell me why their product is messing up my devices.
We got this edition because it was time to renew our Norton subscription and we liked Norton okay up to this point. Sheesh. I don't know what I'll do next.