Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cleaning

• Please log in to reply

Raymond-Online

Raymond-Online

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Well, some of my computer hardware is in need of deep cleaning. I'd also like to get all those little bits of stuff that have fallen inside the keyboard over the months :tazz: . So what should I use to clean a keyboard and mouse?

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
u can get some foaming stuff thats pretty good use that with a cloth or tower and give the keys a good scrub, then q-tips are handy to get between the keys, with the mouse just wipe the surface if it is optical then agen q-tips will do the trick, if its a ball then take the ball out give it a good wipe over and wipe inside the mouse with a cloth abit of compressed air doesnt go amiss.

Edited by The one, 04 September 2005 - 08:04 PM.

puterman

puterman

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
If you really want to get down and dirty, this will take some serious time and commitment but here it goes.

You can pop off the keys of your keyboard, thugh you should either write down the order they are in or do a few at a time, this should expouse the bottom of the keyboard where all the crusties settle, it will also allow you to clean the actual key, I use 409 or windex, or some other cleaning agent for the keys, a really lightly damp cloth to clean the actual keyboard. JUST BE SURE TO REPLACE THE KEYS IN THEIR EXACT ORDER or you will have issues when typing. :-)
Some may think that since keyboards are so cheap these days it would be easier to just buy a new one, I don't agree.

The mouse, if it is an older ball mouse, turn over the mouse, pop of the cover, remove the ball and look in side. There are these roller bars and gunk usually builds up on them, if you use your fingernail, you can scrap the yuck off. There should be three bars, clean all three, your mouse will be good as new!

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
popping off the keys really is alot more hassle then its actaully worth, but if ur prepared to put the time and effort in the fair play.

puterman

puterman

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Yes it is a lot of work, almost overkill, that is why I only do it when the keyboard is beyond disgusting! :-)

Xorgroth

Xorgroth

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Can of air and rubbing alcohol +q-tips. Like puterman said popping off the keys, since alot of junk does stay put under them. I know from experience and almost always very nasty in there. After, you get one off the rest come off easily...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You could ge a zboard with removable key sets, i use the hoover as long as your careful its the easiest way, be careful near fans though i stick a small pencil or paper clip in them when giving the pc a hoover cause the air will spin the awfy fast and break them.