Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

roy-pc

roy-pc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
can i upgrade my motherbord and CPU and Ram and still use the same hard drive without fdisk and formating it

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Assuming that the new motherboard supports your existing hard drive, then you MAY be able to get away with not formatting & performing a fresh install of windows.

What you have to remember is that at the moment your windows install is configured for your current hardware (in particular, the motherboard). A new motherboard will require all the motherboard drivers to be updated in windows. Although this is perfectly possible & shouldn't cause you a problem, I would not like to guarantee that windows will be 100% stable as a result.

I would recommend that you backup any files that you wish to keep (to CD or another external device) first before upgrading the hardware. After the upgrade, reconnect the drive & update the drivers. Worst case scenario, you will need to perform a fresh install of windows (although repartitioning should be not be necessary) but at least you will have all your important files saved in the backup.