Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Will Not Start up, No Post

• Please log in to reply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

just my 2 cents,,,,,,,, you are correct that a power outage should not hurt the board If there were a power spike that could but with the events you described I doubt that happened so I am thinking the outage hurt the psu witch in turn hurt the board maybe on the next powerup.

It maybe impossible to track down just what is bad with the board and is it even worth it, socket A boards are relativity cheap these days, maybe the answer to future problems like these is a APC backup.

Rick

Advertisements

Black Dragon

Black Dragon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Actually, a guy at work managed to fry the motherboard of a Dell desktop by unplugging it much the way you described. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of your motherboard being the problem.

That having been said, I'm having the same problem on a fresh build. I'm at the "could be anything" stage, but the MOBO is getting power. I'm going to start serious troubleshooting tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what I find.

Paul Ramos

Paul Ramos

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Allan,

this is my 2nd k7s41gx, starting to have the same problems with the 2nd board. Just wondered if you ever found a solution to the problem. I'm going to try a working stick of RAM this morning to see if this is the problem. I've read a lot about these boards doing weird things, but I'm not going to trash ASRock just yet, because I have an Intel board from them and it's simply outstanding, best MB i've ever owned. I'll update my post if I find a solution other than RMA'ing this board. I know yesterday afternoon we had 2 short power outages, I'm a little worried this is a surge protection problem and the board got zapped.