Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My comp keeps freezing, and I think it is Hardware

• Please log in to reply

Naiok

Naiok

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My PC:
Athlon XP 3200+
Win XP Pro
512 Pc3200 DDR Ram
Geforce 5500 256 MB 8x AGP
n-Force 2 Mobo
Maxtor 160 GB HD
Maker: E-machine
Model #: T3256

Ok, it first started about a month ago. It would freeze and I would power down(by pressing the power button). When it would restart it would let me send Microsoft an Error report. So I finally sent one and it told me I had a Graphics Driver stuck in an Infinite loop and to update my graphics drivers or get a new graphics card,(At the time using the integraded Geforce 128mb Card). I updated my drivers multiple times, but would continue freezing. I ordered and installed my new Geforce 5500. It seemed ok, only freezing about twice the day it was installed. The next day it was just as bad or worse than before the new graphics card. After a restart now I don't get the option to send the error report to Microsoft, so I don't think it is the graphics card.Finally after running every virus/spyware check known to man, I decided to reformat my HD. I put Windows XP Pro on and it is still freezing. Thus leading me to the conclusion that it must be Hardware. I looked on badcaps.net, and it doesn't seem like that's the problem. So I "think" I have narrowed it down to RAM, HD, Processor, MoBo, or Power Supply. Anyone know any ways to check these components for errors (software or a physical test.) PLEASE HELP! I am currently going for my A+ certification, and I still can't figure it out. I tested the temperature with SpeedFan 4.25, usual range is between 30-40C. Any help?

Advertisements

Naiok

Naiok

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok Guys I have rules out the following:
Video Card (Just Replaced)
RAM ( Ran Memtest & Passed)
HD( Ran a HD Diagnostic from Maxtor)

Anyone else!? I really need some help!

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Ok Guys I have rules out the following:
Video Card (Just Replaced)
RAM ( Ran Memtest & Passed)
HD( Ran a HD Diagnostic from Maxtor)

Anyone else!? I really need some help!

View Post

I have one of these that has been very helpful.

link

I only paid $12. for it on ebay though.