Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update problem

• Please log in to reply

i81u812

i81u812

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When trying to update my computer from Windows Update, it searches my computer for the latest updates then this message appears:

"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer."

I have tried the Register or reinstall the files for me now but the same message comes up. I have searched the Microsoft support website but it was no help and have looked online for hours, tried some solutions but still nothing works. PLEASE HELP ME!! :tazz:

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go

There may be files that are coruupt on your computer that are causeing the problem, to fix the problem....

1. Start<run type "sfc /scannow" with out the quoats and press enter.
2. It will ask for your installation CD, so have this ready and insert it when asked.
3. Wait for it to finish this may take some time (about an hour last time I did it)
4. Satrt<run type "chkdsk /r /x"
5. reboot if asked, this also may thak some time.

This will rapair any corrupt files that you may have.

Hope that this helps. :tazz:

Edited by Michael Buckley, 04 September 2005 - 09:55 PM.

i81u812

i81u812

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there anything else I could do since I'm up at school and don't have the installation cd with me? :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
No not that I know of, can you ask some one for a CD as long and it has the same version of XP (service pack 1 or 2) you are just reparing what you have, it is perfectly legal I am sure.

As a note you only need to go the Microsoft Update (the update of the Windows Update) on the second Wensday of each month. Also becasue going to this page install some software on your first viset it might fix you problem.

i81u812

i81u812

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I went to Windows Update because when I try to install a program on my computer I get the error message:

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for service."

So I went to Windows Update to see if I could just uninstall the Windows Installer and reinstall it, but I can't do that since I also get the error message about the files used for Windows Update no longer being registed or installed on my computer. So where am I supposed to start in trying to fix these problems? :tazz:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

I get the error message:

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.  This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.  Contact your support personnel for service." 

View Post

Well that make things simple, all we have to do is start the "Windows Installer Service" you see with out it you can not install most software.
1. Start<run type "services.msc" with out the quoats.
2. Scroll down to the bottom and find "Windows INstaller Service"
3. Right click it and chose properties and set it to automatic and start it.

Now it will not give you that error message, and you might get things working. Go to the Micrsoft Update not the Windows Update, there is a link in my last post.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 05 September 2005 - 06:32 PM.

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I tried to do the "sfc /scannow" and it said that "Windows can not find "sfc /scannow"."

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts

I tried to do the "sfc /scannow" and it said that "Windows can not find "sfc /scannow"."

View Post

Can you find sfc.dll in the system32 folder? Did you do it with out the quoats and did you type it right? And why are you trying to do it, do you have the same problem?

ktownkatman

ktownkatman

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I dont have the same problem but i was thinking if it fixed corrupted files... I typed it with the quotes. Oh, that might be a problem, it isn't in my system32 folder...

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Is it any where on your computer? Can you move it there if it is. Also I was not think right there are other files that are aso needed sfc.exe (very importat file for this) sfc_os.dll and sfcfiles.dll. Try and find them on another computer with windows XP and put them in your the system32 folder.

Hope that this helps.

i81u812

i81u812

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Still get the error message. I looked online and people said the same thing but to switch it to manual in properities. After I put it to manual (and now even to automatic) hit start, and apply...if I go back to it, it says it's stopped. So I get the error message again. Stupid computer.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Right click it an press start. Go straite to the Microsoft update page with out closing the services window. I said automatic because if it not every time I what to install something I have to start it, I know most people say to have it on manual.