Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PXC-E61

• Please log in to reply

soetewa

soetewa

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,

I'm havin trouble starting my laptop - packard bel- with OS Windows XP home edition. When i was looking at a dvd, my computer shut down and i can't restart it. I already tried altering my bios Boot Device or shutting down my ethernet.
Could anyone help me please?

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Can you boot from cd? I had this error, it was on my laptop and it ended up that my hard drive died. I've seen another with this problem that posted here before and it was the same for them. Lets not think that quite yet though, give me some details about what it does when you try to boot. Let me guess, Post test and then a looping PXE error Media test failure, check cable blah blah... That's why I say to set the cdrom as first boot in bios and try to boot to the XP setup disk. If that works, then your Hard Drive is not bad.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

soetewa

soetewa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the very fast reply. I already tried but I can't start up from boot cd. I still get an erros message he can't find the hdd. I've gone to the shop because my laptop is only 3 months old. They are gonna see what they can do.
I'll keep you posted.

chula

chula

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Can you boot from cd?  I had this error, it was on my laptop and it ended up that my hard drive died.  I've seen another with this problem that posted here before and it was the same for them.  Lets not think that quite yet though, give me some details about what it does when you try to boot.  Let me guess, Post test and then a looping PXE error Media test failure, check cable blah blah...  That's why I say to set the cdrom as first boot in bios and try to boot to the XP setup disk.  If that works, then your Hard Drive is not bad. 

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

View Post

I am able to boot to a cd and sometimes windows comes up and something it gives me that error PXE E61 media test failure then it reads NO OS? Can it be my hard drive is going bad? I checked my bios and it states when i get the message no internal hard drive. Also, this is happening on a laptop and I read to check your cables, but i thought it didn't have cables? Any ideas?

soetewa

soetewa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I am able to boot to a cd and sometimes windows comes up and something it gives me that error PXE E61 media test failure then it reads NO OS?  Can it be my hard drive is going bad?  I checked my bios and it states when i get the message no internal hard drive.  Also, this is happening on a laptop and I read to check your cables, but i thought it didn't have cables?  Any ideas?

View Post

My shopkeeper told me the harddrive died. They will have to put in a new hdd.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
:tazz: Sorry to hear that ;)

-=jonnyrotten=-

chula

chula

• Pip
  • 2 posts

My shopkeeper told me the harddrive died.  They will have to put in a new hdd.

View Post

I pretty much figured mine out! My hard drive was grinding so that is a given on the answer to the riddle, went to Fry's picked up a new hard drive BOOM all is good!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

My hard drive was grinding

NOT usually a good sign! :tazz:

Thanks for sharing your resolution.

OilCoveredOtter

OilCoveredOtter

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have the same problem except this would be the first time ive ever turned mine on! I want to install the OS but i cant get past this blinking screen, i dont understand how it would be a faulty hard drive if i just got it a day or so ago? Is it possibly a cable or a chord, like the blinking screen suggests?

OilCoveredOtter

OilCoveredOtter

• Pip
  • 3 posts
uhh to add, my error also mentions a fast ethernet controller...
PCI FAST ETHERNET CONTROLLER
and then the standard media test failure...if that helps..

soetewa

soetewa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Maybe there is a problem with your fast ethernet controller? My vendor told me though this could happen any time. My computer was 3 months old...
The only positive is that it was guarantee so I didn't have to pay anything.
Hope you have better luck...

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Hello,

I'm havin trouble starting my laptop - packard bel- with OS Windows XP home edition.  When i was looking at a dvd, my computer shut down and i can't restart it.  I already  tried altering my bios Boot Device or shutting down my ethernet.
Could anyone help me please?

View Post

well,s porry to say, but there syour problem right there probely, ti is a packard bell, lol, sorry, i couldn't help it, my first comp was a PB and it was horrbile, we had to reformat ever month, or so it seemed, lo, and the thing was over rpiced, we paid $6000 for a P1 133 mhz, 16 mb ram, 2mb onboard video, lol, it was pretty sad.....i shoudl try to overclock it, lol......