Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

random shut downs

• Please log in to reply

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
alright at random times my compy will shut down i will like be goin to open sumthin nd it will just restart. Check the error report and its always sumthin different i dont understand i built this compy myself aboot a month ago sometimes it restarts instead of shuttin down when i hit the shutdown thingy could it be my psu i dont know why i thought that but could it be its the one that came with my case.

Lion

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
High, welcome to geeks to go, we are going to help you but first could you help us with some information:

1)What type of computer, how old, have you added hardware or software recently, etc.,

2) to pin point the error the next time it occurs could you do the follow tweek:

I do this on all XP computers I work on. An error message can give me a valuable clue(and it's hard to jolt XP out of an endless booting loop).

Turn off auto restart
Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and recovery
uncheck auto restart.

I do this on all XP computers I work on. An error message can give me a valuable clue(Oh, and also it's hard to jolt XP out of an endless booting loop).

Good luck and please post back

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
all my specs are in my sig cept for my case which is a XION XION II and i said in my original post which was disorganized (i was tired last night) that i built this about a month ago....I have not added or removed ne hardware since the build

Lion

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
bump

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello. Bumping your thread will not get you helped any faster. Even if the thread "falls off" of page one, I assure you our Staff members will still get to you. We are all quite busy as you can see from looking around the forums. We are working as fast as we can to help everyone without compromising the integrity of our work. :tazz: Please be patient, and someone will help you as soon as they can.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
by the way my case is a Xion Xion II Xon and it has a XION 450W power supply could this be my problem i will post the errors i get next time it happens (happend twice last night i just forget to copy the errors)

This is the psu i am looking at getting.... http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817148005

Lion

Edited by heartofalion28, 12 September 2005 - 08:05 AM.

biyectivo

biyectivo

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Please reproduce the complete error message here, after disabling Windows XP auto restart. 450W is fine for a P3 given that your power supply is good enough (ie: not really cheap/generic).

Also, Prescotts can get very hot and your system might be shutting off automatically to protect the processor from burning down.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
check your temps in bios....it sounds like it might be a thermal issue..

fungit

fungit

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
Hi,

This may sound silly but have you checked that your USB, firewire ports aren't physically broken(the little plastic pieces) as they have been known to restart systems due to shorts, also you might want to check the traces on your motherboard to see that they are not damaged.

One more thing try setting your ram clock speed in the bios to a lower setting or auto and see if that helps.

Edited by fungit, 12 September 2005 - 04:19 PM.

heartofalion28

heartofalion28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
its not overheating i have my CPU underclocked when i am doin common tasks and when i game i put it back to normal the highest it goes is 62C (dont like that temp but i am workin on gettin a new hsf) but i do know the threshold is 85C um i dont think its a short just becuase i get the "Windows has just recovered from a serious error" i didnt have a chance to try and get it to do it again last nite cuz i had to work i will try tonight tho thanx for the replies and i will update with the error ASAP.

Lion