Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Obnoxiously loud modem

• Please log in to reply

shannonRN

shannonRN

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
My USrobotics modem is, as I said, obnoxiously loud when it dials up. The speaker volume setting under modem properties is slid all the way to off. Is there any other way to quiet it down?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Try turning your system speaker volume down during the dial up process. I have a US Robotics modem in one of my computers and it seems to report that sound based on the system volume

Edited by austin_o, 05 September 2005 - 06:50 AM.

U_D

U_D

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Hi.  Try turning your system speaker volume down during the dial up process.

View Post

I believe that modems also have their own speakers. I heard this on "The Screen Savers" (now attack of the show) Also, when I choose what speakers I want to use, I get a "Modem line 0" So, It may be more then just turning down speaker volume.

shannonRN

shannonRN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The dial up tones don't come from the system speakers but I assume from the modem itself. The sound comes from inside the tower at any rate. I'm ready to stuff a sock in it. :tazz:

Mxrider

Mxrider

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yeah, I had the same problem with my old desktop, the original modem that came with it got fried by lightning through the phone line. I replaced it with a new US Robotics data/fax modem and it was obnoxiously loud. The old one dialed through the speakers, this one comes from the case. I didnt mess with it long enough to figure it out, as i am building anew pc now, but when i installed it, i didnt recognize a speaker. I would look at it now, but it was given to a family member who had theirs get fried.

U_D

U_D

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

The dial up tones don't come from the system speakers but I assume from the modem itself.  The sound comes from inside the tower at any rate.  I'm ready to stuff a sock in it.  :tazz:

View Post

good idea, just get dsl :)

shannonRN

shannonRN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I live in the middle of nowhere. The only service other than dial up that I can access is satellite dsl through direct TV. It's expensive though--something like $599 for the receiver and $79 a month for the service.
DirectTV can bite me if they think I'm going to pay that! :tazz: