Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply

dconnah

dconnah

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have recently built a computer from components taken out of my old PC. This worked fine, with XP installed and everything running properly. I bought a new motherboard for an extra RAM slot and since installing the new MOBO I cannot install Windows XP. The hard drive lost a pin so I replaced it with a new hard drive. I believe there was a problem with the motherboard shorting out on the case, as the computer kept rebooting by itself.

Now, however, when the XP Pro disc is put in, it boots as far as copying the default drivers across to memory, and then when "Starting Windows Setup" appears at the bottom of the screen, it reboots itself.

I have managed to get the computer as far as pressing Enter to begin installation, but it freezes at the "Please wait" message straight after and will not proceed.

If anyone has any ideas what could be causing this, please help me out. I've been trying for 2 weeks now to get Windows XP installed and it's not having any of it.

Please, please, please can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks

Dave Connah

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Unplug the PC

Open the case and check all the wires are where they should be

Get the set up discs for your version of XP and see if they will run

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310994

dconnah

dconnah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok thanks. What will this do? What will I have to do exactly? (Sorry I'm more of a hardware guy than software. That's why this is defeating me!)

Thanks for your help

Dave Connah

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As you built the PC, unplug then open the PC to check the wires are in their correct places

The set up discs will load set up files, hopefully enough to take it beyond where the XP CD is stalling

If the set up discs do not make any difference then check for beeps as the PC boots

Consider having it checked at a computer shop